Can't means won't




“A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” Christopher Reeve



The shoe ads tell us to "just do it," and "nothing is impossible." Yet for many of us, fear of the unknown keeps us from making choices that can actually help us in the long run. Career choices, personal decisions, that little voice says we're doomed to fail, so why bother to try? In other words, "I can't do it, so I won't do it." Hmmmm......
That leap of faith that is needed seems to have left us.
In my own life, I have an autoimmune disorder that keeps me from doing what I want to do. The flare ups of pain have diminished my ability to be as active as I used to be. Rather than sit around and mope, I push myself. That leads to exhaustion and pain. My doctor says that exercise is the best thing I can do. For me to walk anything over a block hurts and hurts a lot. Yet, I push myself. I also do yoga, again, I tell myself to just do it! Gentle aerobics that allow me to stretch and move also are helpful, but at the time, it seems to be more of a burden. Yet once I am done, I smile, because I did it! Yes the pain hurts, but to do nothing will also hurt even more. I think of what others go through in their lives, those who have ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) or the end stages of cancer or AIDS. What I have is suddenly so small and insignificant.
The next time you are going through a tough time, put yourself in another's shoes. Picture yourself struggling as they do, then see what difficulties you have. It may become a whole new situation for you. Then tell yourself to "just do it, for nothing is impossible" when it's between you and God.

Comments

Popular Posts