are you complacent?

A few nights ago, I heard a loud altercation outside between my neighbor and her boyfriend. His words were harsh...abusive...my heart went out to her. I had been in her boat years before with my first husband. What to do, I thought? I didn't want to meddle, yet, if there was something brewing and it escalated and I didn't do anything, I'd feel responsible also. What to do...what to do...?

So I prayed. I asked God to give me a chance to somehow "be there" for her without being obtrusive or nosy, yet caring and concerned.

This morning that chance fell into my lap.

I always have my first cup of coffee outside early in the morning, a chance to connect with nature, to meditate, to feel gratitude. As I stepped out with my coffee and some sustenance for the squirrels, my neighbor was outside, a pensive look on her face. I greeted her, then she asked me how I met my wonderful second husband. I smiled and lit up, "oh, the love of my life?" I replied, then told her where I had met him. We chatted and she then spilled her guts. I listened. I didn't judge, I listened. It was in that listening that she realized she was strong...she didn't need abuse...and she nodded her head in confidence that she could make things right. She would tell him he had to go, it just had to be. I told her about the altercation I had heard and reminded her that life is too short to be abused, either physically or verbally. And deep in her heart, she knew it too.
After she went back into her house, I gave thanks that I was just where I needed to be.

And so it is with all of us. There are so many people out "there" crying for attention, because life's problems somehow cloud their judgement. Oh they really DO know the answer, but sometimes confirmation is all it takes to act. Abuse should NEVER be condoned and for anyone, spectator or victim, to allow it to continue is reprehensible! If you see or hear anything, gather your courage, speak up, let the other person know you are there. Don't be critical, saying what an ass the other party is, instead, listen and act with an open heart. It seems we have all become such isolationists. "Let someone else handle it. It's their problem, not mine!" There are times when the phrase, "mind your own business" does NOT apply; this is one of them!

You know, in this crazy world, we are all we have. When the larger sharks of the world keep consuming the smaller fish, someday there will just be that one large shark left. And even then, it will disappear too.


Are you going to allow that to happen?



Comments

Popular Posts