choices, choices...



when faced with a serious decision, what do you usually do? Do you stand up and fight for what you beleive in, or do you turn the other way, not wanting conflict?

We all have faced decisions at one time or another. Don't say you haven't, stop and think a moment: how about that time at the grocery store when a mother's child was crying uncontrollably and she was at her breaking point, yelling at the child. What was YOUR reaction?

How about a friend who needed a place of refuge from her errant significant other and you made an excuse as to why he/she couldn't stay with you...?

Or the time you saw need and choose to keep your money instead, after all, there was that real nice restaurant you wanted to go to instead!

Or when a parent needed care and you just didn't have the courage to stand up for her or him, instead you decided others knew "better" and the care was never given.

In your own life, if you're in an abusive situation and the children are involved, do you "hope" tomorrow is a better day...and after years of no change, do you think it'll just pass.....
or if you know of a situation where children are involved in someone else's life that are in danger...what do you do?

I have written before about complacency, about shrugging off a duty, to let someone else do it...after all, why rock that boat, right? You may not even have a life preserver should you fall in.

I say, rock that boat anyway! If you fall in, then tread water. Be the momentum that someone needs. Stand up and deliver! That person may be counting on you, you are the only hope there may be...and to walk away or worse, if you  don't have the courage to do what you know in your heart is right...then what? This is not about who "wins" or "loses." It's about human dignity and respect! If it is you who are in a questionable situation, respect YOURSELF and make it better! If it involves another, help them to respect themselves!

I have been in many situations myself: aging parent needs care, dad isn't capable of doing it. I rocked that boat and made sure mom had what she needed--and this was after she had given me a lifetime of abuse when I was younger. (No one needs to go through neglect--this is what finally lead to forgiveness on her part and peace of mind for me.). I have seen children bear the brunt of parent's anger and frustration. I stepped in and made certain child was OK. I have been in an abusive marriage and gathered up my courage to get out, taking the kids with me, keeping the situation safe for all involved.

Let me introduce myself-- Diane Baum, Mouse Extraordinaire! I never used to rock that boat, I never upset that applecart! I was too afraid of the outcome! But my compassionate heart will not allow someone else to be hurt. THAT was where my courage came in!

I can happily say that after 45 years of being a doormat, I finally realized, "I HAVE AS MUCH WORTH AS ANYONE ELSE. I AM ALSO DESERVING OF DIGNITY AND RESPECT!" and so, not only am I still speaking up and out for others, I am also assuring myself of peace in my own life.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent, no one can steal your joy unless you have given them permission to do so. Don't you think you owe it to those in your life to make certain they have that same dignity in their life as well?


Comments

Popular Posts