fill in the blank







"Come on __________, you CAN do this!"

Ever have one of those days when nothing is going right? When every attempt you make falls short? When you just want to give up?

"Come on _____________, you CAN do this!"

So what's with the negative talk? Why do those words ring in your head? 

I have been dealing with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis since 2000. It has been worse, there have been periods when I have felt young and carefree again, thanks to medicine. But I have been through their range of meds. Now, the pain is as bad or worse than it was. I feel like a lead weight has been added to my hips and feet, I can barely walk some days. I rarely get a full night of sleep and so am tired. I can no longer work, so I feel I am not contributing to my family. There have been days when I have asked God, "why am I still here?" and the Voice I hear in my heart says, "because you have My work to do!" So I sometimes sit and just cry...but only allow myself a five minute pity party...why?

"Come on, Reverend Baum, you CAN do this!" 

and I ask God, "why the pain? why the constant daily reminder that I am 'less than' I used to be?" and the Voice in my heart replies, " I have used others like you...to complete My work."  I think then of St. Francis of Assisi, who was always sickly, of the Apostle Paul, who did most of his work from the prisons he was kept in, of the Apostle John who was in exile, I think of Helen Keller, who never questioned her "afflictions," and then I think of Jesus himself...who walked that road to Calvary...beaten, tortured and bleeding, but still with that sense of purpose in His heart...and He kept walking, knowing His fate. He loved us so much, He gave so much...and so I draw my strength from those who have gone ahead of me...and I follow.

so...what are you waiting for? 
Come on _________, you CAN do this!

Comments

Popular Posts