how to save a turtle





As I was driving to the store yesterday, I noticed a turtle moving very fast (if one can call it that!) across the road. The traffic was steady, but I managed a U-turn right there to get into the opposite direction to save it. Just as I pulled up towards it, two college boys walking by also noticed the turtle and ran into oncoming traffic to nab the turtle, taking it to the side of the road it was heading towards, where there was a small but inviting pond. I pulled over and thanked the boys, who seemed proud of their duty. I then waved and continued on, glad and proud of what I had witnessed.

Now, to many of you, it was "just a turtle." However, that "ripple" left it's mark...on me. It restored my faith in humans, it kept the ecosystem of the pond balanced, I'm sure, and shows sometimes that there are humans with hearts bigger than their egos.

Just as with the whale I wrote about several days ago, we won't know the full effects of that one small act of kindness...and maybe never will. But isn't it nice to know that in this vast sense of disorder, there is a sense of calm and order and life goes on....??

What have YOU done today to create a ripple? What are you waiting for?




Comments

Popular Posts