silence is golden........

 
 
 
In today's society, it seems as if everything is screaming to get our attention: the tv, the radio, newspapers, magazines. At the stores, there is always some muzak playing, there is never a place where you can just be silent with your thoughts, it seems! 
When I go to the doctor's office, I choose to not read anything. I want to just be silent with my thoughts. It is then I can hear what is going on around me, be it the little child who is afraid of what the doctor will do, to being aware of someone next to me who may just need a gentle voice. It seems we get so distracted by stimulus and seek it out. If it is quiet at home, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you turn on the tv or radio, just for background noise...but why? Just be in the moment, just listen!
This morning at about 4 a.m., when I walked my husband to his car for work, I heard right away the crickets as they chirped in the cool air. Even now, it is 5 a.m. and the first birds of morning are calling. I have a cardinal right outside my open window, a robin is singing away and a crow just cawed in the distance. A train has passed by and a barge is passing on the river a mile away. I know this because I heard the tugboat's whistle. 
It is in silence that we can concentrate on hearing God. All too often we begin our prayers with "gimmee, gimmee," and forget to hear God's reply. Are we too afraid He may say "no?" So we keep up the one sided dialogue, not realizing that conversation can be a two way street.
Today...stop...look...and listen!
 
When we are quiet, we can hear God's messages to us. Sometimes these messages may be in the form of subtle intuition. Sometimes it may feel like an inner knowing. Sometimes we may hear a 'still, small voice.' If it feels right in your heart, trust that it is God speaking to you.

Comments

Popular Posts