$$$$ka-CHING!!





I saw an interview with Roseanne Barr awhile ago. She is finally happy she said, living on a farm in Hawaii with the man of her dreams, receiving visits from her kids and watching her grandchildren grow up. She grows her own food and raises animals; in short, an ideal life.
Eleanor Mondale passed away last week at age 51. In her younger days she lived a semi-wild lifestyle, working and partying in Hollywood, doing radio stints as well as marrying and divorcing. Finally in 2006 she "retired" to a farm in Minnesota, raised horses and life a quiet life. What I found interesting was that both Roseanne and Eleanor had said the same thing: having money and the fame that went with it was a sad disappointment to what they realized now mattered most; namely family, self and others. 

I often wonder what happens to lottery winners after they have been "rich" for awhile. Does it change them? Are they any happier with the toys and accoutrements of the wealthy?  What would you do if you were suddenly wealthy? I see what happens in global nations where residents suffer under cruel dictators who keep the vast wealth for themselves. It breaks my heart even in our country, to see sports players receive salaries that would take most of us a lifetime to accumulate, then use that money for drugs, drinking and partying.

I grew up poor. We had "just enough," but never more than that. I had hand-me-downs, Goodwill was our store of choice, meals were so carefully planned to the last crumb, but the important thing is: we never went 'without.' Did it make me any "less than" to have clothes that weren't from Macy's? The only people who ever made me feel bad were the kids who taunted me, but as I grew older, I realized that no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. As an adult, I have had periods of modest gain, but also there were those who felt they could take advantage of that--again, no one can do that without your consent! Yet I took pity on them and helped to the best of my ability...until I realized I was helping no one. With increased income comes also maturity--about how money is to be handled and in what responsible way that benefits all.

Jesus said if you have two coats, and see someone in need, give one of your coats away. Your good deed will not go unnoticed by God. In today's uncertain economic times, the same should be for all of us--give away what we have to those who have not and do it unselfishly. Be a responsible steward of what you have and be that ripple in the water for others. The results are worth it!

Comments

Popular Posts