sentiments



I received an e-mail yesterday full of beautiful words and pictures. Many of the statements we should already know, such as 'life is short, so forgive much.' There were others though, that had me thinking. The ones that said, "laugh as children do," and 'forgive as children do' struck home. Ever see how young kids fix their disagreements? It's usually over in a heartbeat, ends with a hug and forgotten within seconds. As adults we have lost our grasp on this. We hang onto hurts as if they are gold! We remember every detail, every word, every emotion....and carry it for years! Why? What value does that have? Many times the ones we have an issue with either don't know, don't care, or if they are aware of it, are probably left with the stinging pain of "what did I do wrong and how can I fix this?" Is it a power situation for you that you carry that grudge? Well, let go, NOW! Forgive, even if just in your heart. Forgive yourself for your past, forgive others for their slights and move forward. Be like a child- happy, carefree, full of energy and light. 

My husband and I lay in bed one night last week. Unable to sleep, he asked me, "what if....what if you knew, just now, that you will never wake up again. How would that change you? Do you just not sleep, hoping to eke out as much time as you can?" My reply was, "you live your life as if that WAS the reality because, honey---it is." And it is true. We plan for the future as blithely as if it is just assumed we will have it. But the realization is...we don't.

A friend of mine died seven years ago. He went to work after a fight with his wife ended with her telling him to "f*** off and I hope to never see you again!" He went with a friend after work to a hockey game. During a break, his friend went to get them another beer and when he returned, found his friend, my friend, dead. I attended the funeral in which the wife cried profusely and told the mourners, "never take life for granted! You just never know when it will bite you in the butt. Always say I love you, and always tell others how much they mean to you. Because I had hoped we would kiss and make up. Unfortunately, that will never happen."




Love and live as if this were your last day. Never assume you have later. Later may just be too late...

Comments

Popular Posts