what I have learned





Sometimes we need to go through the darkness to appreciate the other side. We need conflict to enjoy peace, we need temptation to appreciate self control, we need discord to appreciate resolution.

I was in the hospital this past week, getting a total knee replacement. One down...one more to go. It is because of the autoimmune issues I have been dealing with the past 11 years that it became necessary to now become a "bionic woman." I have dealt with the pain, I have become accustomed to it, so actually this recovery is more of a "good pain," in that it will gradually diminish over time as I become stronger. I am in rehab therapy, relearning how to walk again. What would take you maybe ten seconds to do takes me minutes. I get frustrated because I can't just get up and do things, I have to move slow so I don't fall or sprain something. Patience is the key. And thus, I appreciate what you take for granted...namely, being able to move about at will!

What I also learned is that when you at the mercy of caregivers, a simple smile and a please and thank you go a long way! Nurses respond very well to polite attitudes. One even told me that if not for the few bright spots the patients provide in their day, it would make their job so much harder. And how tough is it, actually to thank someone, or give a compliment? If you knew it would make the ride better, wouldn't you do your best to make that happen?

And so, as I slowly gain strength, I will fit back into my routines, including this blog on a daily basis again. So sit tight and know that I am hanging in and getting well! Peace be with you always!

Comments

Popular Posts