YOU can be an encouragement

 
Everyone needs encouragement, but it's so easy to forget to take the time to give it. Think of someone in your life whom you appreciate today, or someone who made you smile, - and tell them! Even if it's a stranger, take a moment to let them know you noticed. 

When I was at the grocery store yesterday, a young child was being helpful, as only a young one can! by putting food on the conveyor belt. It didn't sit too well with mom, however, and she yelled at her daughter. I intervened and then mom's fury was leveled at me. The girl, who was about four years old, just stood there, feeling as helpless as I also felt. "She's just trying to be helpful," I repeated, "Maybe you can talk her through how you'd like this done," I suggested brightly. 
"If I wanted your opinion, I'd ask for it!" she blurted out. She bagged her groceries as I stood there waiting for my order to be totaled. I kept glancing at the young girl and smiled at her. I had to let her know somehow that she mattered. It warmed my heart when she smiled back.

Having been in that same boat myself, I know the pain of harsh words as I also tried to help. Know what? When a parent squelches out that fire, after awhile that child will tune him or her out. Their passion for life is gone. Why should they even try if they will be shot down? That pattern then will keep emerging all throughout their life. Someone cuts them down, instead of  standing up for themselves, they will instead slink away. 

Today notice what is happening around you. Take action if you need to! Even if your efforts are shot down, do it anyway...and again! You never know what may happen...you just may set into motion events that can change another...for the better!

May the peace of the Lord be with you!

Comments

Popular Posts