the power of kindness



"if you have a good heart, a good life will follow"

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person, you just may be the world!" ~ Mark Twain

These are just two of many quotes on kindness. There are many more and I am sure you have used a few yourself. Yesterday as my husband and I were driving down a quiet country road, there was a man walking on the side, looking for a ride. "No! Do not pick him up!" I told my husband. "You just never know what will happen!" I was certain we would meet our doom as pictures swirled through me head of us being carjacked, murdered and more. Yet after only a couple of miles, he turned our car around and declared that he would give that man a ride after all; he trusted him. As it turned out, the man was a very nice person who needed to pick up a scooter from a friend. It was another five or so miles to his destination on a day that was cloudy and cool. I sat in quiet humiliation while my husband joked with our passenger. Later that night, hot tears of shame coursed down my cheeks. Ok, so the conditions on the world are such that trust is harder and harder to come by. Ironically enough, we were on our way to visit a friend and fellow Reverend, who would give his right arm if someone asked him for it, no questions asked!

I am embarrassed now to write this...me...HA! I should know better, right? But...heavy sigh...even us Reverends need a lesson now and again...just to humble us and give us a teaching moment also. I don't pretend to have all the answers, I am still a work in progress, so please... bear with my confession. 

As I snuggled with my husband last night, I patted his arm lovingly. "Thank you for teaching me what unconditional love is," I told him. and then to God, "thank you for sending me this wonderful man!

Comments

Popular Posts