Tomato Soup for the Soul


 



When my youngest son was, <chuckle> very young, he loved tomato soup. He could have had it three times a day every day and still wanted more. So when Lent came up and all the kids in his CCD class were asked what they would give up for Lent, the standard answers were: to stop fighting with siblings, to not eat chocolate, to not watch TV..and little Mike? He was giving up tomato soup! I was surprised. I didn't think he could do it. I had about 5 or 6 cans left in the cupboard, just waiting for when he'd bail out and ask. There were times he'd stand by the open cupboard door and stare at those cans and I even asked him, during those times, "do you want some?" he was adamant though; no tomato soup for him. Come Easter morning, after Mass, when his siblings had found their little baskets filled with chocolates and I was preparing dinner, he asked me, "mom, can you make me some tomato soup?" And yes, I did.

I like Lent because it is about giving up something, instead of Christmas when everyone has the "gimmees." TV, radio, flyers in the newspapers, it's all about the "gimmees" and how we are "supposed" to capitalize on them. Stores now are even announcing that they will be open on Thanksgiving Day, just so that the gimmees can be fulfilled. Now if that works for you, fine, don't write and rat me out for my feelings, but I feel that family is number one. In our busy worlds, we don't get to see or talk to each other beyond a quick text or Facebook posting. My husband even ranted a few days ago on his Facebook page that the only time he knows what is happening to family is by seeing who has posted what to their status. And yet Thanksgiving, a time to feel gratitude for all God has given to us, is now becoming a memory as well. Is that 50 inch TV really worth it to you? I realize that many of us in this economy depend on that job to sell those tv's....and retailers know they have that tiger by the tail...but if you can muster out some family time this upcoming holiday, please do so. In the end, it is NOT about the almighty dollar, for Love cannot be bought. It is about the family and friends who make you feel special that matters. Show them that they matter as well. 
May peace flow within you today and every day!

Comments

  1. for some of us, that retail job, with it's holiday pay is the difference for me, between having gifts for my kid and gas in my car. So I will take those holiday hours and work them joyfully because I don't have anything else! The younger kids, they don't want those hours because of family obligations, and I understand that! But I need them...so am grateful to the folks who do go out and buy stuff that day! Walk in my shoes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts