what are YOUR priorities?

 


True scene: I was walking behind a couple yesterday at the grocery store. Sunny but cold day, all is right in my world. Folks are scurrying about, buying what they needed for the day or week ahead. The bell ringers are out, the sounds of bells tolling is, to me, a wonderful sound of Hope. Hope that folks will see it in their hearts to dig just a bit deeper this year to take care of others. The couple also were aware of the bells. "Honey, do you have any change that we can put in the kettle?" husband asked his wife. "No," she replied, "I'm sorry, I don't." Going in the store, she proceeded to the customer service counter. Plopping down a ten dollar bill, she brusquely told the clerk, "I want five Powerball tickets and five Megamillion tickets please!"

And my heart grieved. I looked at her and felt in my pockets. I had nothing to offer the bell ringer myself, money was tight right now. I wish I had the option to money to burn on lottery tickets like her...because I would have put some in that kettle instead, I  thought!

As I walked past the in-store bank, I noticed that whoever had used the change machine last had left  a handful of change in the reserve cup (where odd bits of coin are spit back out). I scooped it out and put it in my pocket, thanking God for how "lucky" I was. Suddenly I heard a Voice: "You know where you can put that, don't you?" I stopped. "But, Lord...I found it! and it's truly a grand day!" Thoughts quickly swirled through my head....I thought of my change jar at home. I must have just scooped over forty cents of change out just now, and yet..."Oh OK. I hear you!" Going back outside, I passed the bell ringer. Taking the change, I dropped it into the bucket, which was still empty, save for what I had just contributed. Looking at the man, I smiled. "Merry Christmas!" I told him. "And a fine Christmas to you as well!" he smiled back. My day was so much brighter, I swear...the sun shone even more brilliantly!!!

Who did Jesus say had more honor in God's eyes? It was the woman who gave two small coins, her whole worth. To God, it was rich, because she gave of herself and her desire.  And that's the way it ought to be for each one of us...give with your whole heart and desire. Something for us all to think about this holiday season!
Thanks be to God!

Comments

  1. To give to the best of our abilities and to ask our selves: "do I really need to have MORE when others have less?" is what we should focus on...not just at this time of the year...but everyday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts