"I'm Christian, unless you're_____________"

Christmas music...you gotta love it! "...don we now our gay apparel..." Being gay meant to be happy, carefree and whimsical in the words of the tunes. Now it means something more. I just want to point out that no matter what term you call it, in the end, we are still all people who breathe air and bleed red.
The following link was pointed out to me and I want to share it. It is by no means attacking any religion, thought or preference. It is a passage of love...and what it means to be human in today's society. I have included the link at the bottom, if you want to see the full report. I think, however, I have included enough to get his... and my... point across. Please read:


Before I go on, I feel I must say something one time. Today’s post is not about homosexuality. It’s not about Christians. It’s not about religion. It’s not about politics. It’s about something else altogether. Something greater. Something simpler.
It’s about love.
It’s about kindness.
It’s about friendship
And love, kindness, and friendship are three things that Jacob hasn’t felt in a long time.
I’m thankful he gave me permission to share our conversation with you. It went something like this.
“Jacob, I honestly don’t know how to write it,” I said. “I know what I want to get across, but I can never find the right words.”
“Dan, you need to write it. Don’t give up. I’m telling you, it needs to be said.”
I paused. “You don’t understand. It’s too heated a subject. It’s something people are very emotional and touchy about. I’d be lynched.”
My friend hesitated. “Dan, you are the only friend I have that knows I’m gay. The only freaking one,” he said.
“What do you mean? I know you’ve told other friends.”
That’s when his voice cracked. He began crying.
“Every single person I’ve told has ditched me. They just disappear. They stop calling. They remove me on Facebook. They’re just gone,” he said. “They can’t handle knowing and being friends with a gay person.”
I didn’t know what to say. So I didn’t say anything.
“You don’t know what it’s like, man. You don’t know what it’s like to live here and be gay. You don’t know what it’s like to have freaking nobody. You don’t know what it’s like to have your own parents hate you and try and cover up your existence. I didn’t choose this. I didn’t want this. And I’m so tired of people hating me for it. I can’t take it anymore. I just can’t.”
How do you respond to that?
I wanted to tell him it was all in his head. I knew it wasn’t. I wanted to tell him it would get better and easier. The words would have been hollow and without conviction, and I knew it.
You see, I live in this community too. And I’ve heard the hate. I’ve heard the disgust. I’ve heard the disdain. I’ve heard the gossip. I’ve heard the distrust. I’ve heard the anger. I’ve heard it all, and I’ve heard it tucked and disguised neatly beneath a wrapper of self-righteousness and a blanket of “caring” or “religious” words. I’ve heard it more times than I care to number.
About gay people.
About people who dress differently.
About people who act differently.
About fat people.
About people with drug addictions.
About people who smoke.
About people with addictions to alcohol.
About people with eating disorders.
About people who fall away from their faiths.
About people who aren’t members of the dominant local religion.
About people who have non-traditional piercings.
About people who just look at you or me the wrong way.
I’ve heard it, and I’ve heard it over, and over, and over again.
Hell, in the past (and to some degree in the present) I participated in it. I propagated it. I smugly took part in it. I’ll admit that.
And I did so under the blanketing term “Christian.” I did so believing that my actions were somehow justified because of my beliefs at the time. I did so, actually believing that such appointments were done out of… love.

 I see it on blogs. I hear it on television shows and radio programs. I hear it around my own family’s dinner table from time to time. Usually said so passively, so sneakily, and so “righteously.”
From Christians.

From Buddhists.

From Hindus.

From Muslims.

From Jews.

“God hates fags.” “God hates addicts.” “God hates people who shop at Salvation Army.” “God hates people that aren’t just like me.”

People may not be holding up picket signs and marching around in front of television cameras but… come on. Why is it that so many incredible people who have certain struggles, problems, or their own beliefs of what is right and wrong feel so hated? Why do they feel so judged? Why do they feel so… loathed? What undeniable truth must we all eventually admit to ourselves when such is the case?

Now, I’m not religious. I’m also not gay. But I’ll tell you right now that I’ve sought out religion. I’ve looked for what I believe truth to be. For years I studied, trying to find “it”. Every major religion had good selling points. Every major religion, if I rewound far enough, had some pretty incredible base teachings from some pretty incredible individuals.

Check this out, and feel free to correct me if I get this wrong…

According to Christians, Jesus taught a couple of interesting things. First, “love one another.” Second, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” (“Her” being a woman who cheated on her man.)

According to Buddhists, Buddha taught a couple of thought-provoking things. First, “Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.” Second, “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”

According to Hindus, a couple of fascinating teachings come to mind. First, “Do not get angry or harm any living creature, but be compassionate and gentle; show good will to all.” (Krishna) Second, “Love means giving selflessly, excluding none and including all.” (Rama)

The greatest spiritual leaders in history have all preached love for others as the basis for all happiness, and never did they accompany such mandates with a list of unlovable actions or deeds. They never said, love everybody except for the gays. Love everybody except for the homeless. Love everybody except for the drug users. Love everybody except for the gang members, or those covered in ink, or the spouse abusers. They didn’t tell us it was okay to love everybody with the exception of the “trailer trash,” those living in poverty, or the illegal immigrants. They didn’t tell us it was okay to love everybody except for our ex-lovers, our lovers’ ex lovers, or our ex-lovers’ lovers. The mandate was pretty damn clear, wasn’t it?

Love others.

Period.

Why is it that sometimes the most Christlike people are they who have no religion at all?

I have known a lot of people in my life, and I can tell you this… Some of the ones who understood love better than anyone else were those who the rest of the world had long before measured as lost or gone. Some of the people who were able to look at the dirtiest, the poorest, the gays, the straights, the drug users, those in recovery, the basest of sinners, and those who were just… plain… different…

They were able to look at them all and only see strength. Beauty. Potential. Hope.

And if we boil it down, isn’t that what love actually is?



 the full article can be found at : http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html

Comments

  1. thank you to Rico Fraboni for his comment, which I will post here:
    Thanks Diane, this was a powerful message that hits home in a number of different chords. We are all sinners yet all lived equally by our God. I can't stand the hypocrisy of so many so called Christians who hate in the name of a loving God for no matter what cause they choose. Life is a challenge and I screw up on a daily basis, but I know I am forgiven and am better because if it. U continue to learn and am tolerant of many things I don't agree with, but I don't hate anyone who is different or who may live a life that is different from mine. I can't and won't (try not to) judge anyone based on any aspect of their life and would hope they will do the same for me. Statements like this certainly should make a person think twice about what they saw or do to anyone they come into contact with. "Let your actions depict the person you truly want to be" Fraboni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will begin by stating that I am an alcoholic. I will also follow this up by saying that because of that fact, I am not allowed to come to family get togethers. Why? Because of my whole family, I am the only alcoholic. They are all Bible thumpers who tell me I am going to hell. They turn their backs on me, they threaten to disown me unless I quit. They say that God hates me. Rev, do you know how many nights I have lain awake, trying to figure this all out? Hate me? God hates ME? Then I read your blogs. You say I am a child of God. Yet my family says that God hates me. You say God loves me. Your blogs are not so much preachy as they are just one person speaking TO another. Let me emphasize that...SPEAKING TO....not being lectured, not threatened, not anything but just sharing your compassion. If only THEY knew...how often I have tried to quit, how often I have wanted to just die, so that they will be rid of their "inconvenience of my being around. You say I have worth, I am a person! Maybe I should ignore them and listen to myself. I can live without their Bible thumping ways. They say they love God, yet they judge me. No wonder I drink. One day at a time. That is all I can do...just one day at a time. thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. instead of trying to make others happy, do for yourself first...love yourself, then you can move forward to love others. For those who bring you down, avoid them, do you really want them in your life? hang out with folks who make you feel good about you and about life! They are out there....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts