something to think about

    


"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him." ~ David Brinkley

Sheriff Andy Taylor, as everyone in Mayberry knew him, was all about honesty. "Do the right thing," he always told his son, Opie. Andy was never one to judge, to lay ridicule, to start a fight, or spread gossip. Do you remember the town drunk, Otis? As the show progressed, Otis knew there was always a warm bed for him in Andy's jail so that he could sober up. In fact, he was often handed the keys to let himself in and out. Not once did Andy ever condemn Otis for his alcoholism. Andy made sure that others respected him as well. "Gomer Pyle, USMC" was a spin-off from that show, and Gomer was exactly the same way that Andy was. No wonder he was an exemplary model of what being a Marine was all about: faithful, honest and trustworthy. The Andy Griffith Show wasn’t exactly stingy with the salt-of-the-earth oddballs, but Griffith used his behind-the-scenes pull to shape a vision of Southern community that was more varied, and truer to what he knew. The show looked authentic, and more importantly, it sounded authentic. In fact, I’ll go further: The Andy Griffith Show was the best-written, best-acted, best-shot sitcom of the ’60s—and I’ll stand on The Dick Van Dyke Show’s ottoman in my boots and say that!

Fast forward almost fifty years. What have we come to? In our culture now, it seems as if lying, cheating, stealing, rumor mongering, laziness, backstabbing, et al have become "the norm." Even TV shows depict nothing favorable, unless you are watching a game show or a rerun! Who is our role model today? I will tell you a statistic that will just blow...you...away!

In the USA...there are approximately 300 million "potential heroes!" 

Unbelievable, isn't it? Because that is the approximate number of folks who can change the situation for good, who can leave their mark, who can make a difference and help others. When you point one finger at someone, remember, there are four more pointing back..at you. What is your excuse? What mark will you leave behind? Will it be like Sheriff Andy, who taught about the Golden Rule just by living it himself? Will it be like....something that you could do?
I do believe it is!






Comments

  1. 1st all, thank you to rob for your thoughtful comments. I was able to talk to my son and showed him your comment. It was the first positive step we have taken in along time. I have saved your blog and will be checking back each day. I think I may be ok for now. 2nd of all, this blog speaks volumes for me. My own pa made us kids watch this show and learn from it. Yup he was an alcoholic too, and was amazed that Andy took care of Otis as he did. I am glad that you brought that fact up. Again, not to say that drinking and being a public nuisance are good things, but that someone had compassion to not judge another for their weakness. so thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh that was great! I remember those shows...they all were about common decency, love and respect. I think the last of them were in the 70's with the Waltons, the Ingalls and the Cunningham's. Now it's all this "reality" crap. I don't watch much tv myself, just old movies through my Netflix account. It's a crying shame we have to go back 40 or more years to see a good movie! Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fudge! The more I read this blog, the more things I have to ponder! First I realize there are so many others such as myself, others hurting more-so, others who really do like the shows with conventional wisdom rather that whatever they call this shi* these days, Andy, I truly hope your son understands what life is about and what is happening in this world. Because he and his has to run with it when we are gone. Sorry to him! Blame it on politics. Thats my thoughts! If I was in charge, we'd all be drinkin' beer and fishin'. Vote for me!
    If only everyone could shrink back to the Cunninghams, Ingalls and Waltons... BMW would be out of business, people would help others without fearing of getting shot and robbed, our doors wouldn't have to be locked every minute of every day, pedofiles would be beaten and and not coddled, killers would be killed and not given a better life until they die....etc. etc.,
    Bed time for rob. You geet my point Im sure!
    Hang in there, Andy W.!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts