thank you, God, for Christmas lights!


 



Yesterday, being a Sunday, was definitely "God's day," and I thank Him for showing me some very thoughtful insights! I had the wonderful chance to speak with my mother in law. She and Dad are snowbirding in Calizona. WE spoke of life and lost chances to say and do things, specifically, of seeing children and grandchildren before it's "too late." It seems like such a morbid discussion, but her words rang true, and goes with the blog I posted yesterday about regrets and life and death. She wants to see her grandchildren on my husband's side. They are grown now and so many opportunities for visits have already passed. Life doesn't turn the clock backwards, however, and she is looking to have time..."before it is too late."
 Later that evening, while my husband and I were all snug in our bed after a moonlight drive to view Christmas lights, I got all sentimental and told him that life is about the simple things. It isn't the latest electronic gadget, it's all about spending time with the one you love doing something that you enjoy, I told him. 

Personally, I love driving slowly around neighborhoods, looking at the displays, thankful I don't have to put one up and thankful also to the many who do, just for our viewing pleasure. Then we talked about "time." Why "time" should not be wasted. We do NOT know what the future holds for us, and no matter how together we may seem to have our lives, "time" will in the end, dictate to us just what we have...and don't have. My husband's kids have children of their own and he was pining for them, just as his mother was. "Why don't kids see that time is fragile?" I asked. Indeed, to our parents, we will always be "the kids" until they pass away...then that baton is now ours. We are now looking at our own brood as "the kids," and so it goes....until we too pass away.

This message is to all the adult kids out there, and to anyone who has put off spending time with family or friends. This moment is all that you have. You don't have an hour from now, or a day from now and certainly a month from now is asking too much. You just have NOW! So make the most of now, whether you are a parent, a child or any of the above! Make time to see that special someone in your life. Don't wait until the funeral and cry, "oh why didn't I see him/her?' That is too late! Speaking to someone at a cemetery, now how "fun" is that? go make those memories now, so that you will have memories to live on later!
Peace be with you all!

Comments

  1. This has been on my mind for so long. I have put my daddy...pops to me! on the back burner because of an issue that I blew out of proportion. Why is it so easy to cast him out of my life but so hard to bring him back and say, "I'm sorry?" How do I do this, Diane? I feel like such a fool. and as you said, time's a wasting. What if i don't get that chance to say I am sorry and he should die suddenly? I'll never forgive myself! I pray that I can set aside hurts and do this...I just hope that after I get my courage up, he don't tell me to take a flying leap! Daddy...Pops...if you see this, I love you! Am I still your little girl?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts