this could be you....

 

When I was growing up in the later 60's and early 70's, I was blessed to be able to watch on TV Mister Rogers' Neighborhood as well as local fare here in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. There was a show called "Carmen" starring an actress who dressed as a nurse who would showcase gentle fare on-air, such as cute puppies, "Our Gang, Little Rascals" and a police officer from Minneapolis whom she called "Huggy Bear" Palmquist. He would have information on how us kids could be kept safe. It was done without scaring kids, yet informing them as well. Why a nurse? It was, she said once, because kids need to know that nurses are there to help, to comfort and to educate. Mister Rogers was the same way: gentle, helpful and he taught with a quiet air of dignity. He made little ones feel as though they were indeed special. For me, growing up in an abusive, unpredictable home, it was my only form of stability and security.

I have received responses from folks who, when they were growing up in their own hells, had "make believe" friends whom they turned to: Barney, a purple dinosaur; Batman (from the 60's campy TV show); Lassie; any character from Sesame Street! Why? These figures represented a safe haven where one could be free from negativity. 


Who do you turn to when you are scared and alone? Who holds you in the palm of their hand when all seems lost? As adults, it seems we are "supposed to "buck up and be a man!" "don't cry, show the world how strong you are!" and stuff like that. Maybe this is why addictions are so strong, because we hide our feelings in a bottle, we take a pill to relieve ourselves from pain. As I have said before, even with technology keeping us closer together, we are farther apart than ever! Twitter has only 140 characters, kind of hard to spill your guts there. I have seen some posts on Facebook that cry out in pain...and though my heart goes out to that person, I can't also give them a hug or wipe the tears that I know they are shedding. I have spoken to many who are hurting and the theme is the same: to just be recognized as a human with feelings, to be acknowledged! Yet when we are so focused on our own pain/pleasures, it is hard to see someone else's. When we feel as though we "own the world," why should we bow to a lesser being, thus the "be a man!" or "quit being a sissy by crying!"
My friend, we all bleed red, we all poop brown and we all need air to survive, as well as hugs, compliments and just plain recognition. Give a stranger a smile and what happens? They just light up like a Christmas tree!! Hold that door open, listen to a friend in pain, put a fifty dollar bill in someone's hand and again, that same feeling, except---you also feel that warmth seep in! Yes, I do believe it is Love! Instead of sitting in judgment...you have now acknowledged them...you are on the same level...and you walk away knowing that you have just spread joy in your own small way. Small, yet SIGNIFICANT! Don't ever forget that---you may have just turned their tide and given them the best gift of all--HOPE! What a gift  that is!
May peace be with you!

Comments

  1. "Fred McFeely Rogers was a neighbor and friend of mine for all of my life. I never had the honor of meeting the man, and he had no idea who I was, but that didn’t matter; he cared about me and thought I was special. That was something I knew...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! The pains that I read on here! They are all so real! I can relate to most of them. And yet, there are that 1 or 2 here and there, I cant help but wonder what I would have done! It blows Joe Average away! If I am Joe Average!
    I have put myself through a lot of "Shit" (forgive the language) and yet I look through the experiences of others, the way they deal with it all, the Aholes who tell them they are wrong and they, the Aholes are better, and I wonder what I would have done, where would I be if that was me? When the Aholes come to grips with reality and realize God does not favor them, they favor themselves, (BIG Difference)what will they do?
    Blessed be the meek. I've been there, thats why Im here. Go to YouTube and check out that song. And, thanks again to been there, Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts