Facebook: a blessing and a curse

what is it about this innocent blue letter "f" that can cause such a stir?  For many, Facebook is the "new" way to communicate, it rivals phones, e-mails, snail mail and studies have proven that it is the number one cause of...relationship breakups! Words typed in, either in full or cryptically, can be misunderstood, resulting in hurt feelings, anger, and in some cases, especially with teenagers, suicide. As with any tool, it can build up--or tear down. Why is that? Why can't it be like normal conversation? Well, it can, however, Facebook ,unlike a regular conversation, is passive. You cannot see the facial expressions of the one speaking, or their body language, to know the full meaning behind the words. The reason for this is just as I said, it is typed in as few words as possible, so the full intent of the message gets lost in the translation. So then, you respond. Well, either the sender or another jumps in the fray, garbles the original message, more hurt feelings, more anger, more words, more hurt feelings, more........until now people are on opposite sides of a line drawn because no one understands what the communication was all about in the first place. Now you're unfriended or blocked (more hurt feelings) which in some cases has lead to stalking, and sadly enough, even murder. What may have begun in innocence can lead to sorrow. I sure am kicking myself for jumping in to a conversation I "thought" was directed at me because of a comment I had made. Well, when I hit "enter, it made sense. However, AFTER I hit "enter", it showed up AFTER another someone's comment, in which now what I just said makes no sense at all and yes, it appeared as though I am overstepping my bounds. YIKES! I let it sit (as opposed to deleting it) because in the whole scheme of things,in the bigger picture culminating to this point, it seemed "justified." "Justified" is a word that has a huge price tag-- and I mean HUGE! So therefore, I have egg on my face and a situation where time may be the only healer. Huge sigh...my apologies go out to all for whom the rules have changed frequently and I haven't been let it on the game. I am hoping that with time and space, once things calm down, all will be well. One can only hope, right?  What would Jesus do?

Comments

  1. I agree in that Facebook can be a weapon that others use to just plain old get back at people. What is said on IT I know for a fact many would never repeat to ones' face. It can also be a tool for peace, but once again it is in the spirit of the ones who post their comments. I appreciated your words about how easy communication can be misinterpreted as well. Rev Baum, don't be so hard on yourself. As much as I like the quote, better to remain silent and be thought stupid, than to speak up and remove all doubt," I feel it is too harsh. I am sure that your INTENTIONS were NOT mean-spirited and am hoping that in time, others see it that way as well. Time is always the best healer. Let time work for you now. (If rob is reading this, I hope all is well with him also!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts