perfectionism



 Yesterday I spoke of imperfection and how we tend to judge others...as well as ourselves. The opposite end of this , perfectionism, can be just as debilitating. Psychologist Mel Schwartz explains in his post called “The Problem of Perfectionism”:
In our culture we move relentlessly toward greater emphasis on achievement and goal attainment. We ask our children what their grade was, not what they learned. We tend to measure our lives in terms of success and achievement and lose perspective on what it may mean to live well. This ruptures any sense of balance in our lives. We seem to lose the capacity for wonder and awe. Could you imagine looking at a magnificent rainbow and complaining that the width of one color was imperfect because it was narrower than the other colors? Not only would that be ridiculous, we’d also be ruining the splendor of the moment. And yet that is exactly what we do when we judge ourselves for our imperfections. We forget that as humans we’re part of nature, as well. As such, we would benefit if we came into acceptance of the natural flow of life, which by the way, happens to be imperfect.
In her book, Better By Mistake, author Alina Tugend offers a helpful distinction between good perfectionism and bad perfectionism:
Being a perfectionist isn’t a bad thing; in fact, it may mean you have very high standards and you often meet those standards. Those who have perfectionist tendencies without having those tendencies rule — or ruin — their lives are what psychiatrists call “adaptive” perfectionists. They find it very important to do certain things in the right way, but this need doesn’t hinder their lives and can actually help them achieve great success….
On the other hand, what psychiatrists call maladaptive perfectionists need to be the best at everything, and if they make a mistake, it’s a crisis. It’s also not just about how they perceive themselves, but about how others perceive them: they believe they will lose the respect of friends and colleagues if they fail. They have to hit all their marks all the time. Their need for perfectionism can sabotage their own success.
In my own life, I know people who suffer from depression. If things don't ALWAYS go EXACTLY as they have planned, they feel they have failed. When I was promoting my book, "There but for the Grace of God (plus a few good friends & family) Go I," I was at AA meetings and have spoken to alcoholics who, if they "fall off the wagon," feel it is such a tragedy that they absolutely refuse to even try to get back up again. In some cases, they see their failure as a reason or excuse to keep on drinking. In others, they are too embarrassed to seek help once more.
Why do we allow what others think of us to control how we live our lives? What matters is what WE think, how WE feel...if it isn't hurting anyone, then by all means, use your "imperfection" as a learning tool. See where you can maybe try a different path. Never say never, and use every opportunity to move forward. For anyone...and I do mean ANYONE to sit in judgment is absolutely wrong. We all are humans. We all have failed.
What matters is not how we have failed, but rather, how we got back up! I am cheering for you---are you cheering for yourself as well??

Comments

  1. you hit that nail on the head once again! The reason AA continues is because folks know they need that support. They will at some point, mess up. AA says, "hey, come back, it's OK." Now I have been to some AA meetings where the ones who have been sober longest do tend to look down on the others, but this is few and far between. As you said, we all make mistakes. The biggest mistake however is in our judgment of those around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you an alcoholic, Diane? Because if not, you have no idea what it is like to set a goal for yourself, to quit, and then have some life tragedy trip you up and what does it take to get over that? some Jim, Jack or Jose! So yes, I do fall off. I do agree with you about AA meetings, they can be judgmental, which is why I don't go. I can do "fucked up" all by myself, I don't need others to remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. little girl lost ...and found!January 11, 2012 at 6:10 AM

    One does not need to be an alcoholic to understand what people involved in addictions do. To be a witness on the sidelines and see what you thought was "your perfect wolrd" going so wrong...and then there are the "perfect people" who look down on you because of what another in your little world is doing to themselves...it is just absurd! As Rev. Diane has said, time and again...just walk in the shoes of another and you'll see and feel what their pain is! Rev is not cutting down anyone, she is saying that we should not judge, either ourselves or others in the worlds. We need to be accepting of each other and most of all, of ourselves! This is not to say we can be boastful or arrogant, far from it. The problem today is that we have negative role models..who the hell is "Snooki" anyway? and why is it so wonderful that Kim Kardashian was married for only 72 days? We have no one positive to look up to. Rev Diane is trying to make us see that maybe if we thought more as she is showing us, we too can be that positive person for others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "MyFriend", {codeword} You are so right!
    I am here to tell all the world really isn't going to hell, we only think it is! Or are letting it?
    On Jan. 7th of 2012 Anonymous posted a blog of how she felt as if she was left alone while mourning for her life and future. Because of a "Drunk". And I truly do feel for her. (NOT litterally!) My arms ain't that long!
    And then into a few short weeks, if that, came my friend. From long ago and far away this little girl, now a lady, re-entered my world and has so far rocked it! little girl lost...and found.
    She has written a book, along with The Rev. here, (Diane Ganzer Baum) called "little girl lost" (which is going world wide and on Amazon and Kindle tommorow!) can you say WOW!? and if after you read this about a child growing up in the meth world (as like booze, or other drugs)you dont cry, frankly, you are an asshole! Clear enough? All this had me thinking while driving 10 -12 hours and staring at boring roads and then I got home and read Andy W.'s blog - at the end he said, ("how much is my son worth? More than Jack, Jim, Bud and Miller...plus Jose combined! thanks!)

    All this may sound contrite and so-what to others. But anonomous made me realize after I sleep, (pass out) another is still awake, whom I love, and she is the suffering one.
    Little girl lost has a dedication in her book,

    "This book is dedicated to all those who have been lost at some point in their lives, be it from drug use or watching someone that you love slowly destroy all the good in their world because of it.
    I have walked in your shoes and I feel your pain."

    "watching someone that you love slowly destroy all the good in their world because of it."
    These caught my attention and I pondered them a few hundred, or so, miles.
    Then I read Andy W.'s Blog. The last part floored me and made me realize what an ass Im being to the Rev. He said ...

    It ain't fair to my son...or to me. I'll still have that beer, but the hard stuff.....??? how much is my son worth? More than Jack, Jim, Bud and Miller...plus Jose combined!

    How much is my son worth? How much is my life worth? How much is my wife worth? I love the Rev. more than I love life itself, and decided, if Andy W. will do this, so will I. Or try to. Again. Thank you all for your input on this. Who knows, you may have saved me from a fate worse than death? Like sleeping through REAL life, and dealing with a hangover!? Oof Dah.
    And tootie, Diane is to opened minded to be a drunk. Been sober all her life. But now she is married to one. That makes her a better expert than you and I on the subject. Please don't knock her.
    Thanks Y'all --- rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rob....I have deleted and begun again several times here. As I write this, pa is asleep in his own bed. Asleep without passing out. To me, this is a good thing. Do you know the impact of your words to him? To me? Pa is all I have and yet, I could not stand to watch him drink himself to death! Ask anyone who knows about drinking, they would say the same. Yet he has a change of heart---I don't know if this will last a day, a week, a year..? I only know that I want to spend my time with him, not look at an unwashed body passed out on the couch. Day after day after day. So thank you for bringing my pa home. and the same to you, I guess. remember who waits for you--

      Delete
  5. hey rob...your honesty just blew me away. I had to go back and read some of these blogs to figure out where you were coming from, and man, am I glad I did! What eye openers! You're gonna be ok, dude. You know what ya gotta do. Just take care of that woman of yours and know, we are all out here, rooting for you. You can do this too. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts