ramblings..........


Early Saturday morning and I can't sleep. I have things on my mind that I feel should come out so here goes:
I saw a cartoon two days ago. It was set in a funeral home with only two people present. The caption read, "John had over 2,000 friends on Facebook. I would have thought they'd all be here by now!" Something to think about, eh? Of all the people that YOU have friended, how many can you depend on in a pinch? Our true friends will come running when needed, no questions asked. I have attended funerals where the parlor was just PACKED with folks wanting to pay their last respects. I have also attended funerals where the sentiment shared by the very few present was, "I just wanted to make sure the bastard was dead!" I also attended one where not even the preacher showed up to conduct the funeral! His excuse? He just couldn't find anything to say in a positive way, so he chose to just NOT SHOW UP! Thus the motto: "live your life so the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral!" Just something for you to ponder when you can't sleep, right?

Actress Demi Moore, et al: they were reported to have/had drug and alcohol addictions at some point in their illustrious careers. Yet, very few say anything bad about them. We shrug our shoulders and go on. It's a fact of life for that crowd, right? OK, so why is it just the worst thing in the world when Uncle Harry or brother/sister/mom/dad/guy next door/ homeless bum in downtown have these same issues? Why then do we turn our nose up at them and judge? What line separates us from them or us from "celebrities?" Think about that one next time you turn your nose up.

A friend of mine has posted about how she is figuring her employees taxes and if they have earned over $106,800.00, social security tax should NOT be taken out of their paycheck. Now that one got my blood to boiling. Why does the burden then fall on the ones who work so hard and live paycheck to paycheck? Why are they taxed at such a high rate that they can barely afford a decent meal, let alone everything else they need to have to survive? I am not talking about a brand new car every five years...I am talking mere survival. Statistics are showing the average age of a driver's vehicle is now over ten years old. Why can't they afford a newer car? Look at your paystub next time you get one. I mean, really look at it. How much has been deducted for taxes? How much will you get back as a refund? See what I mean? The disparity is ridiculous!

Disparity...now there is a word. We have in our midst those who either can or cannot afford to live. I have a neighbor who only gets $694.00 per month for Social Security. She is over 62 and disabled. After her $557.00 per month rent is paid for, she has very little for everything else. How is that fair? Think again about the employees who make over $106,800.00. What solutions do YOU have that can help? Obviously politicians are in it for themselves...so it is up to all of us, YOU and ME to pick up the slack. Is it hard? No, not if we each see a need and act on it. That neighbor of mine? Her daughter switches payment for babysitting duties by paying mom's bills instead. She trades what she doesn't need with others who also have what they don't need, so that everyone has something. Granted, it isn't much, but at least she isn't homeless. I urge all of you to look around. If you see a need, act on it. Someday it will come back to you...and in a very positive way!

So there it is. Now I know I can't go back to sleep, because my mind is churning with scenarios and solutions. I hope that yours is, too. Maybe we can all come up with something to help one another. Isn't that how it should be anyway?

Comments

  1. I think we like the celebs because it is a fantasy world that we can't ever hope to attain, so we just assume they are all a bunch of rich assholes. As for the rest of us, we should all know "better" than to get so drunk or drugged up......that is why we can look down on each other. Those overpaid so called actors really have nothing else going for them, so who cares, right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts