the touch of the Master's Hand

 

'Twas battered and scarred, and the auctioneer
Thought it scarcely worth his while
To waste much time on the old violin,
But held it up with a smile.

"What am I bidden, good folks?" he cried,
"Who'll start the bidding for me?"
"A dollar, a dollar"; then, "Two! Only two?
Two dollars, and who'll make it three?

Three dollars, once; three dollars twice;
Going for three" But no,
From the room, far back, a gray-haired man
Came forward and picked up the bow;

Then, wiping the dust from the old violin,
And tightening the loose strings,
He played a melody pure and sweet
As a caroling angel sings.

The music ceased, and the auctioneer,
With a voice that was quiet and low,
Said, "What am I bid for the old violin?"
And he held it up with the bow.

"A thousand dollars, and who'll make it two?
Two thousand! And who'll make it three?
Three thousand, once; three thousand, twice,
And going, and gone," said he.

The people cheered, but some of them cried,
"We do not quite understand
What changed its worth." Swift came the reply:
"The touch of a master's hand."

by Myra Brooks Welch and Bob Kelly

wow! Powerful words! I read this and thought about people in our world whom we tend to "throw away." The homeless. The depressed. The alcoholics, the drug addicts, those who are disabled, overweight, too skinny, to poor, too rich...too anything! They have no value. What does it take to restore value? Oh my goodness, all it takes...is simple validation from you and I: a word, a touch, a hug, a kind act done randomly. Suddenly the world is bright and shiny and new again!
My last few columns have been about alcohol and drug abuse, specifically meth. There are many more ways however that we tend to block people from entering our lives. Their sordid little tales just don't interest us. Why give them the time of day, right? To us,they are unimportant. Go back once again and read the poem, then you tell me why those people are unimportant. After all, it was YOU who said so! wasn't it???

Comments

  1. Oh my God Reverend, you made me cry with this one. because I too was a throwaway product and was brought back to life, thanks to you and to rob. True happiness does not come from money, houses or luxuries, it comes from knowing that people such as you care! I take it one day at a time. I promised my son I would stay off the hard sauce...God its hard and I mean no puns. But one day at a time...that's all we have, right? You turned this old drunk into something beautiful...I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud you...and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all of my life, I have wished for someone to hold my hand, to stroke my face, to appreciate who I am...without all the gameplaying. I have watched my dad waste away on rec drugs and maried an alcoholic, thinking that because I somehow failed with dad, I can make this situation right. Well, things went from bad to worse and he drank too much. I awoke to find him dead in the bathroom, must have passed out and hit his head on the tub. I am in mourning for the loss of a dad, a husband and my kids, their dad. I pray that there will be a "someone" someday who can see that I am a person who just wants to be valued. Will that day ever come?

    ReplyDelete
  4. suzzee, you need to realize that no one can make you happy, you must find happiness yourself. You have known alcoholism all your life. The life of an alcoholic is one of sorrow/confusion/despair as they slowly give up everything that is near and dear to them: the wife, the kids, the job, the LIFE! You are NOT responsible for anyone's happiness but your own. Value yourself, take confidence in yourself and I guarantee you....that special someone will see the LIGHT radiate from you and want to know more about you. Right now, being down on yourself, you will only attract those for whom depression and sorrow is their way of life. I know--I have been there and that is why I am here. For more info on this subject, see "There but for the Grace of God (plus a few good friends & family) Go I" by Diane Ganzer Baum. It is stark testimony told by someone who has traveled that route. Read it and see it from his side as well as the other side, too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read the book you mentioned. The testimony is awesome! Makes you think about being so high and mighty. We all have our pains in life, it's how other see us in that misery, that is the crux of the story. So many feel, 'you are trash!" and they just label us, no questions asked. Look BEYOND the label and see, there is someone in there who needs love just as we all do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts