20/20 hindsight is always clear




Every now and then, it is good to take a look back and see how we have evolved as a person. For me, I get asked all the time how I knew I wanted to be a writer. I have always loved to write, unless it was a book report in school! There is something about sharing an opinion and having others read it. In 2004, I began what was the first of my books about a wayward puppy named Patrick. I assumed that after a couple of books, I would be "finished." But God had other ideas for me. I went on to write about child abuse, alcoholism and just lately, meth abuse. There is a wealth of words inside of me yet, and one by one, I know it will all come together just as it is meant to. One other topic I have been asked to cover is domestic violence. That one is too close to my heart right now, and yet I feel if I don't speak up, then the gift of words will be wasted.
I don't write with the hopes of making millions of dollars. It always was just a way to help others: to learn to read (with my children's books) or to help others to cope with a difficult situation. I had never expected it to be what it is today and for that, again I am grateful to God. I look back also at the few who told me I was "wasting my time," that it was "an expensive hobby" and how I was "using my past as a talisman for others to feel sorry for me," that I was "no Mother Teresa!" Well, I am well aware of that last fact, because I am just me...Diane...and only I can leave my footprints in the sand, no one else can do that for me. And I wouldn't ever want to be like anyone else, they all did what they had to do, just as I am doing now what I feel I am called to do. Just as you must be called to do what you can with the gifts you have in the place you are at. We don't need to be rocket scientists or brain surgeons, and don't you ever feel "less than" if all you are is Jane or Jack living on Main Street, USA. Just make sure that your street has your footprints on it! All over it! from one end to the other! So that when you look back and others look at what you have done, you will all see an indelible mark of your existence!
Peace be with you!

Comments

  1. little girl lost--and foundFebruary 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

    Reverend...I think to the chain of events that lead you to me: you began writing...you have helped others, who, in turn have helped even more people. On a chance, your writing, or the writing of another, brought you and a wonderful man together who now are working together, using writing as a form of communication. That in turn and by a wild chance of fate, brought me back to him which lead to more writing...and a book that is helping so many! Yes, Rev. baum...you have been destined...you have left a very indelible footprint! I only hope someday to fill your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. to blow a great chance to make money...? Woman, are you NUTZ? In the end, who is going to remember YOU? Everyone knows their 15 minutes of fame can disappear so fast...take it...and RUN with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...eyes wide open..you only see money. Rev. Baum sees how she can be an asset to others instead! She has a quality that I find endearing. I have read some of her books and lead others to it as well. Has she helped others? oh, you bet! You can't put a price on that...nor would I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if not for Rev Baum, I would not have my dad. Yes he is an alcoholic and that will never change. Yes he falls off the wagon and that also will never change. But Rev helps me to see that when dad falls off, I had better be there to help him up, brush him off, give him hug and let him go on again. Am I tired of it? Well, who wouldn't be...but you see....I am his SON! Who else but me will do it? So thanks, Rev for every word you have written. And to anyone who finds fault in that---look in the mirror at yourself first....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts