how can we know?


I was pondering just yesterday--about the books that I have written that were with the intent of "helping others." From "Hope Survives," (about child abuse) to "Walking in God's Shadow" and "There but for the Grace of God..." (alcohol abuse) and now the book I have co-written with one who has witnessed meth abuse via her own mother in "little girl lost..." all have been with the pure intent of hoping that out there in this mass confusion we call Life...someone "gets it."

Yesterday someone came up to me and told me HIS story--of how the book, "There, but for the Grace of God," a book his wife had sitting on her bedside table, was read by him, and what it meant to him, an alcoholic who never really realized what his drinking was doing to her and his children. His story was heartfelt as he confessed that he was giving serious thought to his addiction. I have received responses in this blog from many folks who have been changed also. It is comforting to know that my work is not in vain.

I read something earlier today, which also gave me comfort. It said: 

"In life in the world, you set something in motion. When you set something in motion, what you have set is like a big wave, and one wave leads to another. Will the wave you have set in motion reach shore? Will it reach this shore or that shore? Will it come back to knock you over, or will it carry you to the High Seas and where you want it to take you? Will what you have started turn out all right?
Well, of course, everything turns out all right. In terms of the world, eventually, it does. Meanwhile, your decisions will take you somewhere.
You can't worry about finite conclusions to what you set in motion. The thing is you can't know. You can't know the finite destination of everything. You want to live life more than for results. When you look for certain assured results in life, you won't move, and life is meant to hop right along.  
Who even knows when something began let alone where it will end? Is there really such a thing as a beginning and an end? Maybe in books. The future is an unknown quantity. It is not predictable. Life is not a proven activity. It is not locked in. Anything is possible. You are more than the returns you get in life. If you only fear making mistakes, you are not living life. Live life. You do not know where the river may take you, but you do know that you are rowing your boat in the river."

So it is thus for all of us. We do the "right thing," not for the accolades, but because it is just that...The Right Thing. For me, it is through my writing. It is my hope that my words can bring comfort, joy, inspiration, hope, relief and more. I encourage all of you to leave your comments here...or e-mail me at: dianeganzer@yahoo.com. Your words are the motivation to keep me going, just as I hope mine are for you. May you be blessed always! Peace be with you, today and every day!

Comments

  1. little girl lost--and foundFebruary 1, 2012 at 7:59 AM

    Hope Survives was a story that, for me, spoke volumes. I thought I had it rough, ha! It made me see I am not the only one with issues in life. It's how we deal with them. If you choose to roll over and use your past as an excuse, you will never grow and change. If you use it for good, however, you will find a whole brand new world waiting for you--

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago, a police officer came to my school and talked to us kids (this was high school) about the many dangers we kids face as we grow, child abuse was one of them. She showed us a copy of that book, "Hope Survives," (I had to go look it up at amazon.com to make sure I was reading about the right one here) she told us that we can survive anything, ANYTHING! she also spoke of date rape, drugs, drinking, but it was child abuse that got my attention. It gave me the courage to tell my counselor at school about was what happening at home and believe me, it changed in a hurry. I was taken out and my dad was arrested. In many ways, I was Hope...and am thankful that because of that officer's visit, I am alive today. So thank you, dear Diane for all you have done, you have saved me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all I'm saying is rob helped me to see that I had to make a choice, my son or the booze. Every freekin day is a struggle...I see ads on TV...in the paper, I drive by a liquor store and I want it so bad! But I love my son more and promised, no hard stuff. I just want for you and rob to know, what you did I can never repay except to say thank you. I hope you know you changed this old man. I got a few good years left in me and plan to make it good with my kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dag-nub-it Andy!
      You bring tears to my eyes! I've been wondering how you is doing. Winter is finally setting in, or the fall fog is coming WAYYY early and driving the early morning hours has been rough the past couple weeks, but I do check in here every so often.
      You hang in there! Your son is proud of you, as am I. I broke down and bought a jug last weekend. Excuse? Who needs one? The shit is powerful, but I have the Rev. and you have your son. May you have the strength and courage to keep it up. I now look up to you for doing so. Thanks again --
      rob

      Delete
  4. positively lovin lifeFebruary 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

    just saw this on someone's Facebook status: "sometimes the hardest thing and right thing are the same." Change comes from within, then,we must have the courage to make it happen. Too often we wait for "someone else" to do it. Look in the mirror...YOU are that "someone!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. to little girl lost and found: you seem to have your stuff together, I liked your comment about using your past as a crutch. I have found that everyone has their own problems. They can't solve yours too and why would you want that anyway? I am so sick of drama..."oh pity me I had it rough!" So? we ALL have it rough! Get UP and DO something! Be positive because believe me, to be so negative gets you NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. to rob...you "broke down and bought a jug and who cares?" Let me tell you, you are a sad case. Too feel it is OK just because you have the support of someone is no excuse. What is it doing to her? Or do you even care? If this Andy can do it, why not YOU? don't make excuses, make things happen instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Justin: you just did what Rev Baum has always said one must NOT do: you have judged rob...because you have no idea what HE goes through. So Andy can do it and rob can't...? Each person goes through their own journey...in this case, ALONE! If rob has someone there to guide him, maybe the impact on her isn't as bad as you seem to think. Maybe she is in it for the long haul and knows, yes it is hard but she is prepared to do what it takes to be his strength. There is a huge difference between being someone's friend and being an enabler. I just don't see it in this case as I have read many of her blogs. She speaks so highly of rob. So as it says in the book, "There, but for the Grace of God," don't sit in your Ivory Tower looking down. Someday you will be in the same place...think of how YOU would feel being judged by others. Sermon over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts