the difference between religion and sprituality





There is, to me, a huge difference between religion and spirituality. Religion is something many people practice on Sundays only. They go to church all dressed up, they make the nice talk with Reverend/priest/pastor, they may even volunteer at the potluck, but let me tell you, come Monday morning, they are two faced asses who need a reminder of why we have Sundays to begin with! Spirituality, on the other hand, acknowledges God in all things. Every breath we take is a gift and a blessing from God. That drunk on the street, that homeless person, that one suffering from AIDS, that gay person, that Black person, that drug addicted runaway, that prostitute, they ALL have merit, because in them, we see ourselves. We are all children of God, therefore, we are responsible for the comfort of all...not just ourselves and especially, not just when it suits us (like at Christmas or for that end of the year tax write-off!) Go out and find the lepers, as St Francis did, as Mother Teresa did, walk among them as Father Damian did. Embrace them, love them. Now you are an example of everything that Jesus represents. To be His follower, He said, "give up everything that you have and come...follow me!" Can we not do that and still say we are "religious?" I think not! You have to LIVE IT! BE it! DO it! Every Day!

Comments

  1. Perfect Diane! I think Jesus died on the cross to show us how to die to SELF... "I," "me," "myself." He told us to love our neighbor which is virtually impossible without dying to my endless selfish desires. My church/religion is a Divine Mirror where I see the truth of who I am, comprehend each ego in depth (a long arduous task), and then through Grace, and Grace alone, am relieved of this obstacle that stands between me and God... me and Love. "I" then proceed to the next ego/"self" and begin the Work again... If this process takes a lifetime or several lifetimes, it doesn't matter; it's not like I have anything better to do. "LIVE IT! BE it! DO it! Every Day!"... yeah, that's the ticket.
    Bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collin Scott DeLongMarch 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM

    Religion is being in church thinking about golf. Spirituality is being on the golf course thinking about God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Religion is for people who dont want to go to hell.
    Spirituality is for people who have already been there.
    "Holding your legs spread and feet high on Sunday morning and yelling "OH God" does not equal going to church!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so what would you call the second "coming" of Christ then, rob? I mean, he said he would come again...right? How would he know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came three or four times in the good ol' days. Second means dripps to me. Think he can compete with that? Just saying....

      Delete
  5. wow Rev Baum: so many priests/preachers/pastors, etc spend so much time in theology and none could come up with a reply anywhere near to yours! I have had my share of folks who backstab others, I have known Catholics who wave their rosaries around and spout "Hail Mary's" and yet---they are the poorest examples of what Jesus was. You have it nailed...now...what DO we do about it? How do we convince them that they can do better? Easy...by our example. and if we get spit on, so what. We waste no time on them and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. seems to me we are right back to where things were when Jesus was here...scribes and Pharisees who quoted "the Law," yet never lived it the way it was meant to be. They interpreted everything their way....even now the Catholic Church has hidden for too long the abuse of boys by priests. Such hypocrisy...they preach about going to hell and obviously don't believe it in their own life and religion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts