what makes a woman beautiful?


"Tonight ~ as you close your eyes for the night and your prayers are lifted from your hearts ~ send out hope and love and healing to all those whom may need it. Let your thoughts and prayers reach beyond that of your immediate world and hope that our voices will be heard and maybe someone, somewhere will have an answered prayer when they greet the new day. Let you heart open for another and in doing so may your prayers also be answered."
 
I read this with hope, that maybe somewhere...out there...someone has sent up a prayer for me and that I will also one day wake up to happy news. So many take their "womanhood" for granted. As did I. Then to realize that you may lose it...it seems frightening. I pondered the fact that maybe I am just not "good enough" anymore for my husband. Nothing could be further from the truth--he has told me he loves me just as I am. Yet the thought lingers...what is my worth? With this upcoming operation to remove cancerous woman body parts, I feel less a sexual being and more like a shriveled up old prune! I know that being a woman is just more than her body parts...sheesh! I SHOULD know better, yet any place you look, magazine's, commercials, TV shows, talk shows, women are told that UNLESS you do this or fix that or spend big bucks on this, you have no worth. You need to fit into a mold of Wall Street's desire...that you make some company rich off their feeding into YOUR insecurities! And so...I will continue to look ahead with hope...faith, a bit of fear- but definitely summon up courage...and have confidence that being a woman means having confidence, grace, love, compassion and most of all, courage and conviction! These are the true qualities that make-up a beautiful woman! Who is with me?

Comments

  1. OMG!!! Rev...thank you for pointing out what we women go thru daily! "Am I beautiful enough" Hell yeah, girl, we ARE! This reminder must have been hard for you to write, but your honesty allows us to see and feel for those who know it but never admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter was diagnosed with cervical cancer last year during a routine pap test. The dr said it was nothing, it was caught soon enough, she was young, to not worry. Yet her abdomen became more bloated, even after chemo. They took out her cervix, but it had spread to other parts. She passed away last month after a hard battle. At her funeral the preacher said how we must all be like little children, if we want to enter Heaven. Like you, her heart was always centered on cloud watching, birds at our feeder, little children, stray pets, you name it. You fight, Rev with everything you have! You are beautiful for the inspiration you have already shown us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. madison ave junkieMarch 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM

    what I find interesting is the fact these companies tell you to buy their product, but then they airbrush or photo shop the pictures of the models to make them look perfect!!! It is what is inside that matters....I used to buy into all that, but I felt so fake, so phony! Love me as I am, with all my warts. Your true friends will always love you, no matter what you look like. Just be the best YOU there is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved this...maybe it'll help you now, Rev Baum:



    Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.

    Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is late, but I found this as I was just cruising the web. Great stuff...especially this column. It can't be said enough that true beauty shines from within. Today's girls get so sucked in by what they "should be" wearing...and they forget that if they let their passion for life shine instead, they will be even more beautiful than what all the clothes and cosmetics will ever do for them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts