simple gestures


 I watch with amusement the commercials that come on TV. Jewelry, cars, gifts that are supposed to make a person just adore the giver for the rest of their lives....to me, it seems so shallow. Two days ago, I received a sweet bouquet of flowers from a gal who was cleaning up at her catering job from a wedding banquet. As I looked at the hydrangeas, I was filled with such gratitude that she would even think of me to pass this gift on. The next day, a friend of my husband sent me a message, thanking me for the inspiration I give to her through my writing. Again, I was touched beyond belief. I also made sure to thank her for her words that made me all warm and fuzzy inside. These two acts of kindness came at just the right time. I have been having issues with the stepdaughters, whose arrogant attitudes have caused much hurt as of late in my relationship with their dad. The stress level was building quite high. Unfortunately, they choose their attitude of selfishness over one of gratitude, that is, being grateful for the many things their father has provided them over the years. No, it wasn't so much in material possessions as it was time and love and support. This just wasn't good enough for them and so, the line they drew is an indelible reminder of what greed can do. Instead of being happy that dad has found someone that makes him happy, it's all about "what about me?" The jealousy they have exuded has hurt their father deeply.
I am someone who can be happy with the simple things in life. Give me a sunny day to watch clouds skitter by any time! I can go on a walk with a friend and feel such contentment. My husband gives me a single rose or a balloon for my birthday and I am like a five year old; I look at that balloon often and smile, I inhale the heady aroma of that flower and know that he truly loves me. I do NOT need diamonds or new cars to know that I matter in his world. When we dated, our thrill was visiting a thrift store just across the street from his apartment. On one trip, as  I perused the candles, I heard him call my name. Looking up, I noticed that he held a teddy bear close to him as he asked me, "Can I come home with you?" I smiled and said, "of course you can!" That bear sits in my office next to me...a wonderful reminder of what love is!
This should be a lesson for us all: it isn't the big things that we should be so concerned about, it's the small day to day things that we can do with great love that count. So--what ARE you waiting for!?

Comments

  1. geez, your husband is making all us guys look bad! My wife showed me your blog..actually she printed it out and taped it to the bathroom mirror....yep, we can learn a lot from you. So--thank you and to your husband too. He sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Diane, I have read your blogs of late and agree so much with you! Stepkid issues? If they are adults, then they need to realize the world doesn't revolve around THEM any longer! They have their own thoughts, ideas, which do not include you...and should NOT be critical of yours either!!! Do you nag them about their choice of spouse/significant other? Probably not. Live your life as you see fit. I can tell that you and your rob are happy and willing to reach out to others. If the stepkids have issues with that, then THEY need to step BACK and re-examine their problems...and grow UP!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts