stepping stones......

 



"If you still find yourself to feel remorse from situations in your past, think of these circumstances as stepping stones to where you are today. Or if you aren’t happy with where you are today, think of your present circumstances as stepping stones to where you hope to be in the future. Create your own stepping stones. You can either create opportunities from your circumstances, or you can allow them to hinder your ability to love and live your best life. Choose wisely."

This came to me courtesy of a young gal who is going through some pretty rough times right now. Her mom passed away last December due to a drug overdose. Unfortunately the apple did not fall too far from the tree, her brother also abused drugs in his short life. He just died a few nights ago. As she has tried to assimilate herself into a family in which a member just "found" her again after 20 plus years, she has been met with derision from his adult children. Her latest words to me were, "I am at the bottom looking up and all I see is darkness!"
I can see her point. I too have been in the pits of hell, looking up and wishing for some shred of light to save me from the Unknown. What angers me is how she was shunned through no fault of her own. She is doing the best she can to make a better life of herself and I wish her all the best as I send positive energy her way. It will be along climb but I am confident that once she reaches the top, she will see how beautiful it is and how the struggle made that beauty worthwhile yet again.
In life, it is so easy to put down another, to sit in judgement as if we have the upper hand. We don't. It can be any one of us who for no real reason is propelled into that dark abyss, to claw our way back out. In my own life I have been there many times yet I marvel at how life just seems to breeze by for others. They get through it by lying, cheating, stealing, they don't have to bury a loved one or watch a beloved friend die. They seem to have it all together. They are the ones who look down on the rest: the homeless, the alcoholics, the ones who are all alone as they attempt to put together a life from the shreds of nothing they have been given. Jesus said that if someone asks you to walk a mile with them, walk TWO miles. Give that extra coat that you have, turn your cheek if someone slaps you. In other words, sacrifice all that you have and are for the greater good of another. This doesn't mean we have to be a doormat or an enabler...no, it means to create that healthy balance but also make sure another is as comfortable in their lives as you like to be in yours.
To my friend--hang in there, brighter days are ahead. To the  many readers of this blog, if you are struggling, you are NOT alone. I have read so many comments from those of you who are hurting as well as those who are grateful for the many second chances that life has given them. If you wish to unburden yourself, I am at dianeganzer@yahoo.com. Feel free to send me a note....I am here and I will listen! Peace be with you!

Comments

  1. one can never know the pain of loss unless one has lived it. My prayers are with this young gal as she tries to get through her struggles...may God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been there as well. The sad thing is, when even your own family knows you are going through hell and they make it worse by telling people you're CRAZY, it makes the darkness even worse! I learned to put those people aside, yes, even family, so that I can heal. Thank you for this column, Reverend. As the song says, "I was once blind, but now I see."

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you know how many shares you have been a part of...on Facebook or Google or emails? Probably more than you'll ever know! You have a succinct way of telling life's stories. I hope that all is well in YOUR family...and if not, it SHOULD be! Life is too short for petty BS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your columns of late...and enjoyed them all. They have made me chuckle, cry and understand the human condition almost as if Jesus was here already! You are a wonderful person....I am grateful for what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking back on her life, I think she knew how much better it had become. But we don't see that--all we see is the pain up ahead....the clouds and rain...before the rainbow. Yes, Amber became a much happier person....all she needed to know was that she was loved--and loved she was, by so many! Her book continues to inspire others, we still receive royalties as well as e-mails of gratitude. Look at what YOU started--and Rob, too. You started a ripple that is now a tidal wave!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts