a thought for today



 "Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for." ~ Joseph Addison

We have a reason for being. When we have others in our lives, then we are content. Satisfied. Willing to sacrifice for them as well as yearn to do everything we can to make that person happy. It seems to be one of our most basic needs. Don't believe me? Watch what a baby does. They study you intently and when they so something so little as smile, what is our reaction? We smile back. This in turn causes them to seek other ways to repeat that performance from us. They live to PLEASE! Thus communication is born.

Ahhh, then what happens? We grow older. Now things in life come with a "price." A condition. A "deal." You do this and I will do that. If you don't do this for me, it OBVIOUSLY means that you don't care fo rme, you don't love me...etc. Is that true? Do you live your life this way? "If I don't get my own way, then f*ck you?" Gosh...how did things progress so far?

I know of a gal who had nothing growing up. No real love, security, no permanent home or friends to call her own. Yet she is a survivor and lives to please others. She wants for others to be happy because she has been in that painful place and wouldn't wish it on anyone. I also know a couple of other gals who are the opposite. Everything has been given to them and although they are the product of a divorce, their father has been around to support them, to lend a hand, to just "be there." Because his life changed for the better and he finally found a permanent mate that makes his life complete, their jealousy of his newly found love has caused them to turn against their dad...their "pops," as they refer to him, going so far as to now withhold his grandchildren from him.

They have just taken away from him his happiness, his reasons to love and hope for.

Think about how you use your words and actions. When you don't get your own way, are you rude? This can be something so benign as being a rude driver in the car, a rude shopper at the store, a rude worker at work, a rude daughter, sister, friend, spouse...the list goes on. Life is not all about getting your OWN way!!! Think about what you are doing to others! Jesus showed us that true love is going OUT of your way to make another comfortable, happy, content. Remember the Good Samaritan? Coming out of our comfort zone means we don't NEED to be right, having the last word or the upper hand. I always tell my husband that 99 times out of 100, he is right. That last one is mine!!!  :)  And I enjoy listening to him speak, his conversations are so filled with compassion for others! It is NOT an end all-be all in our relationship and I LOVE that! It is give and take, Golden Rule stuff.
Practice it sometime, if you're not already. The Golden Rule. Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you. As Jesus said, "love God, love your neighbor. These are the two greatest commandments."
Amen!
 

Comments

  1. it goes without saying, folks in nursing homes. They have no family to visit, they sit all day and stare out a window. Now wonder they lose hope and die! same with homeless folks, alcoholics...they have no reason to BE! We need a reason to wake up each day! Its a fact that people who stay busy live LONGER than folks who are just waiting to die. We are born with a purpose! Rev...when my son and I had our falling out, when my wife and daughter died, I wanted to crawl in that hole and just give up! You helped so much for me to see that life is worth living, I just needed to find my purpose. I am happy to say I have found a job that although it don't pay shit, it forces me to get up and be available as well as responsible for my actions! Thanks for your help in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my name is Eileen and I am an alcoholic. Yes, I know that my actions caused others pain, so I took control over my actions. I am in AA, I have a new job and hopefully a new life. It is my hope that others will see this and not continue with their diatribe of how I am unfit to be in society. As you have said before, they need to walk in my path to understand where I have been. Thank you for your posts, Reverend. They have just saved yet another life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts