the value of a letter



When was the last time you ever sat down and wrote a nice, thoughtful letter? NOT an e-mail, but  areal live letter on paper that can be felt and read many times over? It is becoming so rare nowadays to even receive something with handwriting on it.....I told a friend that at Christmas I got about a third of greetings mailed back to me as I sent out. I already spoke of this in a past blog, that folks are busy, etc, but when I did see something handwritten on an envelope, I savored it. I held it, I imagined that person sitting and writing their greetings...and I smiled. Just last week the city of St Paul, MN held a tour in a museum that had relics of notes written from Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin on display. Wow...over two hundred years of history, right there! Sadly though, it may not be thus in another two hundred years! What a tragedy! Let's not let the value of the written word disappear. The use of cursive, the putting down of ideas on paper....let's keep this valued treasure alive as long as we can!! After all, how can you keep a text from your friend forever? You can't.

Comments

  1. I have one letter...just one that my wife wrote me on a birthday many years ago. This was when we were still young and in love. I have kept that letter and still read it--and still regret how our lives ended so tragically. I also have papers my daughter made for me while in school. I look at them also. They have no value to anyone but me...and to me, they are priceless. Thank you Rev for this column. I am now going to look at those letters again.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I was young...mama always made us kids sit down and write letters. Even my baby sister had to learn and we older kids had to teach the younger ones how to do it. How many kids do this nowadays? Maybe its why they are so ungrateful now...? Hmmm...something to ponder.......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts