what part do you play in life?

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven…a time to be silent and a time to speak,”(Ecclesiastes 3:1,7).   

I have often been asked why I stand up for the less fortunate in society: the homeless, the drug addicts, the alcoholics...my answer is simple. If I don't, who will? Would you? I have been told that I enable them through my actions. I say, enable them...how? By showing compassion? Many of these people were not born this way, they did not grow up with an aspiration to want to be this way. You don't hear a 7 year old say, "When I grow up, I want to mess up my life with alcoholism!" No! Yet, they are judged  based solely on their "imperfections." Why can't we see their potential instead and guide them?

Have you ever been abandoned? Go back in your mind...maybe as a young child. Were you ever lost? I was...and the relief I felt when I finally figured out where I was was absolutely wonderful! How about as an adult, during a time of illness, or joblessness, or maybe during a divorce, when your self esteem takes that hit. Did you feel as though THAT moment was your defining moment, that the rest of your life was based on how you felt just then? How do you think Jesus felt when his supposed friends and disciples abandoned him during his Crucifixion? I had two surgeries in the past six months. If not for my wonderful husband who stayed by my side, I know I would have felt more fear of being alone and the unknown. I cannot imagine what people go through, looking into the bottom of a drug bottle or beer can....or worse, living under a bridge, trading aluminum cans for a loaf of bread--or that pint of booze. Unless someone sees them for the human beings that they are, they will never be able to rejoin society as a productive member.

 Let me repeat that---unless SOMEONE RECOGNIZES THEIR VALUE & WORTH, THEY WILL ALWAYS BE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HEAP! 

It is so beyond me--and yet, my heart will not rest because I know someone needs to speak up and out for them!

What part do you play in life? How do you react when you see a person by the side of the road, dirty backpack and all, who just needs a couple of bucks for a burger? Do you sneer and speed away? Do you stop to help? What would you do/what have you done?
Next time, put yourself into their very worn shoes...and ask yourself, "now... how would I feel?" You will be surprised at your answer, if you allow yourself to be honest.
Peace be with you all!

Comments

  1. from another ReverendApril 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM

    A main "Criterion of Consciousness" for the human experience, Diane, is never having all you want. For as one dream comes true, another swiftly takes its place. Not having all you want is one of life's constants.
    And learning to be happy while not yet having all you want is the first "Criterion of Joy." Nail it, and for the rest of your life people will be asking what it is about you.
    Desire is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rev Joshua WashingtonApril 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM

    this would be like accusing the poor in Calcutta of their station in life and then...just walking by. Which is what we basically do here in America too. Rev, you just keep saying and doing what you have been..its all good. If others say you are "enabling," smile sweetly and reply, "why yes, I AM enabling! You got that right! Amen, brother! Hallelujah! I am ENABLING this person to continue as they are...being a child of God! I will enable that person to have dignity and I will see to it that they die in peace!" After having read your book, "There, but for the Grace of God..." I know of what you speak. You just keep doing right....God loves a cheerful giver! Amen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts