ahhhh...memories!




Now that the excitement of Mother's Day has passed, what did you do for YOUR mom? Did you agonize over the jewelry store ads, or wait in line forever at a fancy restaurant? Did you blow your budget getting her "something nice?"
Let me let you in on a secret: Remember when you were in school, and you made an impression of your hand on clay, which the teacher then signed with your name? Remember how your mom kept it with all of your other treasures that you made, which all came from the heart? Well, moms don't change. We are still like that. In fact, give me a sweet sentimental gift over some fancy doo-dad any day!
I awoke at 4 a.m. on Mother's Day. Mu husband had a special surprise in mind: we would go watch the sunrise on a beautiful bridge that juts out over the Mississippi River! The day was bright and beautiful, but chilly. As we entered the bridge, all was silent. The first hint of light was coming up. As I waited, a barge pushed its cargo down the misty river, tendrils of fog rising in its wake. Then, there it was, sunlight! It was so beautiful, I snapped many photos. I hugged my husband, telling him I would always remember this day.
Later my daughter called me. Financially strapped due to college costs, she invited me over for dinner. It was scrumptious as every attention to detail had been taken care of. I couldn't have had finer service in any restaurant. Thank God for her. Later, as I got up at 3 a.m. to put my dogs outside, there on the stove was a small yellow mum plant from my son with a note. My heart swelled.
It isn't the gold, jewels or riches of life that should entice us. It's what is inside our hearts, our intentions that matter most. Life is so short...make the most of the memories that you can make together--now!

Comments

  1. oh so true! As I age, I find I don't even want all those doo-dads!!! Just give me your time...that's all I want--or need. You go to any nursing home and what do the residents all say? "Just give me your time!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you serious? so why does MY wife get all bent outta shape if I come home with a simple plant? She WANTS the good stuff and gets pissy if she doesn't get it! so now what?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts