for the love of Patrick

Patrick wasn't just any dog, he was a wayward setter. From the first day I brought him home, he had his own way of doing things. Not the right way, his way. And I loved him all the more for it. He lived a good life, and gave me inspiration to actively write and have stories published; first about him, (four novels) then about other subjects, including non-fiction books  about child abuse, alcohol addiction from both sides and meth abuse. I give all of my credit to this dog, for if not for him, I never would have written in the first place.
So many good things came from this writing experience. I take so little credit, I just wrote what I felt passion about and let things happen after that. I have never had a bad reaction, in fact, everyone who contacted me told me how they were inspired. All I had ever wanted when I began writing was to make just one life better. Because of Patrick, there were more than just one!
The opposite of "dog" is God. And truly, dogs are so unconditional in their love. Why can't people be like a dog? I have often wondered. They sense who will treat them right and react accordingly. They also sense who is going to hurt them and also react accordingly. Patrick loved everyone. When I brought my husband into my life, Patrick accepted him with a love so adoring...he would gaze at Rob unceasingly until he got that tidbit from dinner or the walk he craved. He loved any and all animals I brought into the house, and there were many! The kids had friends over and he accepted them all. He was there to see me through the good days and bad and if his dinner was just a bit late, that was allowed because he had such patience! Watchdog? Not really!!! Unless it was to watch to see if someone was coming up the walk, then they would be greeted by a wagging tail. I always said a burglar would get away with everything I had just because Patrick was there!
All too soon, however, it became time for Patrick to go. That trip across the Rainbow Bridge....in this era of taking care of pets, it seems we do too good of a job! Dogs don't die anymore of a natural death, they depend on us to make that choice... and Oh! what a choice! Am I doing the right thing? I would ask over and over, looking at Patrick. Yes, I knew all about his intense cravings for water that became more frequent, he also had a tumor that grew on his chest. He had been housebroken in just two days as a pup, but it was when he began to urinate massive amounts all over the living room that I knew, it was time. He looked so humiliated because up until now, he didn't have accidents on the floor. It was harder now also for him to get up from laying down, and then to lay down again.
Patrick was an English setter of the field variety but he never hunted. He preferred to watch squirrels as they gathered seeds, giving them the eye until they, tired of his stares, would bound away, with his voice echoing off the building as he barked a good-bye.
If you are interested in reading of his life, there are four books available through amazon.com...look up "Patrick the Wayward Setter," by Diane Ganzer and you will see all four of them. They are good stories for dog lovers of all ages. It is my hope that through these stories, Patrick's memory will live on forever.

Comments

  1. I bought your Patrick books and thought they were wonderful! Maybe time will have a way of making a classic out of them....sorry for your loss.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing can erase the memory of a dog....may all your memories be good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww...so beautiful! so sorry for your loss.....may time heal your pain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts