the pursuit of sanity....

As a writer, I feel that I have a responsibility to others, to inspire them with what I know. I was told many years ago that writing what I knew about was so much better because I could infuse my work with passion. And so, I wrote about dogs, child abuse, other animal stories, a series of Western historical fiction stories. Then came the "Big Guns." Alcoholism. Meth use and abuse. There are other subjects out there as well that have also captured my heart, however, time just isn't on my side right now to capture them all.

As I write, I think about the ones I know and love who are affected by these issues. In a way, I am hoping to show my compassion and support. For some readers, their sentiment is, "oh, that AGAIN?" But you see, issues such as alcoholism can't be cut and dried. You can't just tie it up with a pretty ribbon and be done with it.It’s much, much harder to write from that place. Because it’s filled with ambiguity, uncertainty, restlessness, confusion, and embarrassment–for not having figured everything out. Most of us would like to present ourselves with much more direction, clarity, and single-mindedness because those traits are lumped in with success, not the former.

You can't look at someone and demand that they quit drinking, "or else." Life isn't like that. Compassion for others should show that we care and will be in that trench of much for the long haul. The struggles are daily, there is no "finish line." I know of many who have been sober for years. They make it look like a piece of cake, but what would it take to draw them back in? Again, they face those daily struggles that we do not know about---and should never stand in judgment of. Here, I think you actually appreciate my sincere questions, and maybe the fact that there is someone else out there who is just as perplexed by life’s crooked lines, and trying to put one foot in front of another in pursuit of a little sanity.

Comments

  1. fell off the wagon yet againMay 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM

    You just keep saying it, Rev...alcoholism is not just an "I woke up and decided to party" affliction. It is a very real disease, much as cancer is, yet no one picks on you for THAT! No! They have walks for that, raise money for that, yet if I were to go out and raise money for alcoholic awareness, others would think I'm spending it on booze or something. You got it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dealing with depression...it is also an insidious disease with no real cure. I just take my meds and hope for the best. Usually I do ok until some major life stressor catches up to me, then its a double whammy. My mom also had depression AND she drank...which makes depression even worse. Each day is an effort...and no one can see that. It isn't like I have a broken leg or some visible thing...I just do the best I can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts