reality TV: isn't the News enough??

"be an example of love and peace, and that peace will flow like a river to all it touches...."



I was watching the morning news today. I pick a local channel that I know gives it straight without all the glorious hype and drama, that way I know what's happening in the world without all the spin that goes with it. Then a commercial played for a program called "Revenge." Blood , guts and a woman with a look of pure evil was shown and I wondered....why? Revenge, really? Isn't there enough pain in the world, why do we need this, a visual reminder to act on that pain? Whatever happened to Forgiveness? For those who don't know this show, its about a woman who was wronged so many years ago and has returned to the town to take out her revenge on those who have wronged her. Maybe I am old-fashioned, after all, I grew up on Pa Ingalls, Papa Walton and Hee-Haw, but then again, I also have a compassionate heart. I don't wish to hurt others and wish peace for them as well. Have I been wronged in my life? Oh yes! But I try to not carry it in my heart. What good does that do? The persons who have wronged me don't care, yet I am allowing them to live in my head/heart rent free. How fair is that? Forgiveness is better.
Most of the television shows today are all about personal satisfaction, living in the "me moment." Most glorify "it's about me, here's my house, here is my dysfunctional family, here is my sordid life." Why does this entertain viewers? "Jersey Shore." "The Bachelorette?Bachelor." "Desperate Housewives." Dare I name any more?
Instead of watching the "boob tube," how about doing some good for others? Volunteer, go visit or call that friend/ relative that you haven't seen in awhile. Donate your time to a cause/charity that needs dedicated people, show your kids what life in the REAL world is like. It isn't what they are shown on TV. Instead of "Revenge," show how justice works by teaching them to be kind and compassionate. Be a source of encouragement to others, be an example. Soon that "pay it forward" feeling will take over!

Comments

  1. I miss the days when my folks gathered us kids around the set for Disney or Bonanza! Nowadays kids are caught up in their own whatevers and many parents have no idea who or what they are with or doing. I had to call and ask when I was at a friend's house if I could watch what they were going to watch...oh my! To ask a parent now is archaic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts