of life and marathons


 I'll bet that if you asked a lot of people, they would tell you that every day for them is a race. Race to work, race at work, race after work, race back home....lather, rinse and repeat! My sister in law is training to run a half marathon, which is 13.1 miles. I truly respect those who can do this; it takes so much discipline to keep motivated to not only prepare for it, but to actually see it through as well.
I send prayers and energy her way as I go on my own daily walk. Granted, it isn't 13.1 miles, but for me, it is also a marathon of sorts. I get up in the morning and try to talk myself out of it, but I lace up my shoes anyway and, cane in hand, off I go. Most days I go only to the end of the block and back, this is all my body can tolerate, but on two or three days I go around the block, which consists of a steep hill going up and a smaller one coming down. By the time I have hit the straight sidewalk home, my feet are crying out to stop and it is then that I lean heavily on my cane, but home is within sight and I know that once again, I have conquered! Due to the Rheumatoid arthritis I have, everything within me is in degeneration. Although I had total knee replacements, now my body sees these implants as invaders also and are trying to tell me they just don't belong there. Pain is almost a constant now as muscles spasm, mostly towards evening. I was speaking with a gal yesterday who also has RA  and luckily for her, all she worries about is stiff hands and wrists. I closed my eyes and wished that was all I had to deal with as well. But I had to be the one for whom medicine no longer works, my immune system is shot and so, I walk that "marathon" of mine each day, knowing that for me, this is a victory worth celebrating!
To my sister in law, good luck on Saturday with your marathon! Keep on keeping on! And to the rest of you who also have marathons of one sort or another, also keep on, keep pushing forward and never, I mean EVER, quit!

Comments

  1. its true what "they" say, we are all fighting a battle....so walk a mile in my shoes and see what I have to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you always see what others don't...thanks for an eye opener today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care in the others around you, You may not have them tomorrow. Remember that come next Tuesday!!
    Thank You Where is Andy?? --
    rob
    (thanks Bud, tho, You are a VERY proud child! Do not give up on Pa!!!")

    ReplyDelete
  4. so Reverend, tell me what to do when I work hard to make my home life secure and happy and HE comes home from work, drinks till he passes out and I sit here all alone with a dinner that went uneaten and no real conversation? My fuse is getting short, I am a somebody but, living with a drunk, I feel like a nobody. Any advice here, because obviously you have walked in my shoes at some point, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still here, rob, and to all who may have wondered where the old drunk is, I have been working at a job that pays little but keeps me responsible to some point. To the gal who wondered, may I answer this one? Because I did that also, and my wife slowly began to hate me. She wanted to leave but I begged her to stay, which she did, but our marriage was never the same. I look back with pain and regrets now, because I wasted a good life with a wonderful woman due to the booze. All I can say is: show your man this column and tell him he needs to wake up and realize that life is short, just as rob said. He needs to know that at any time it can end. Tell him your love for him is greater than his need for booze. If that don't wake him up, nothing will. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts