you are not alone...

"On this day, God wants you to know that your soul is always in communion with God.
When you feel lost, or afraid, or sad, - feel into your soul to find the strength of Divine presence."
 
So much easier said than done. When the weight of the world is crushing you, do you just want to lash out at anyone and everyone, so they feel as miserable as you do, or do you offer it up, asking God for the strength to deal with whatever it is that hurts?
I ask only because I received an e-mail from someone, asking me for help and advice in her relationship with her husband.
"Dear Rev. Baum: My husband and I have been married but a few short years. He is a wonderful man, but for the fact that he drinks, we'd have the perfect marriage. It's his drinking that has me frustrated. He works, then comes home, drinks and goes to bed. On his days off, its time to binge drink. I can't plan anything because most times he is too drunk to attend. So, not only do I sit here when he is at work, doing "nothing," but when he is home, it's like he isn't because I still do "nothing," waiting for him so we can do "something!" I am hurt, bored and unsure of what to do next. Is this to be my fate forever? Am I better off with or without him? What do I do? My heart is hurting for us both. Though he doesn't realize it, the frustration is mounting....if I did this to him, I know he'd leave me in a heartbeat. Please don't recommend AA or rehab...he has been there. That's why I'm here. Thank you."

It is asking so much of her to remain strong for him. She didn't mention children, but if they are in the mix, it makes it doubly hard. Dad is missing out on life. Even without kids, he is missing his wife's important life with him. Compassion, strength, integrity, these things and more are what she will need to make it through the long haul. I know exactly what she is dealing with, I know the pain and the hurt of being "left out" of life. To her and to all I say this: take each day as it comes. Keep yourself busy. You don't have to "wait for him." Go and make something of yourself. Journal your frustrations, call a friend, have coffee with someone that you haven't seen in awhile. Your spouse has issues that, if you left the relationship, will not make that person nay better. In some cases, ultimatums do work. In others it just leaves unresolved issues. You have to ask yourself, "how much can I deal with?" and go from there. Also talking to your Higher Power is a balm that should not be ignored. It is not weakness to ask for help and say, "I can't do this all alone." Let your significant other know also, in a kind way, how much you hurt seeing them and their dependence on alcohol. Let love guide your words. Chances are, they are aware that their addiction is hurting you and will respond in kind. And if not, take another step back, re-examine and ask yourself once more if you can move forward in your life with or without this person. I know it is hard....but take time to be gentle with yourself and feel God's Presence in your life. You are not alone.






Comments

  1. she speaks the truth. Had I known this, I might still have my wonderful wife today, God rest her soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tough row to hoe. Just know it really is appreciated, whether it shows or not. Love You Princess! And a handshake to Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Very wise words... can apply to anything... not just drinking.. thank you! ♥"

    ReplyDelete
  4. you need to tell it from the other side as well. How much it hurts me to BE drinking and though I try, I cannot stop. I know it hurts others. I have been homeless, I have been in treatment, I have been to AA. And so now I sit here in a wet house and wonder why I am in this hell and can't get out. IT is a nightmare come true. Some of us, no all of us deserve compassion, not judgment. So thank you Rev Baum for caring and understanding. I too have been there- that's why I'm here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read "there but for the Grace of God (plus a few good friends and family) Go I." By Rev Diane Ganzer Baum. You can get it at amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.com it speaks of exactly what she is referring to here. Excellent book. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good time Charlies got the bluesJune 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM

    to the wife: sit down and talk frankly. DON'T make judgment calls, just ask and listen. I'll bet you dollars to donuts he'll talk when he realizes you are not going to just up and throw him out. You might realize he either doesn't know he is hurting you or he'll admit he knows and is powerless to quit. Then take steps from there. Baby steps, but it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gave my former husband an ultimatum: the booze or me, he couldn't have both. He made the choice and gave up booze. We are still married. See? It can be done...so the excuses are not justified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Former Husband? Still married? Ummmm, ????

      Delete
  8. wow pissed off wife, what did you do, hold a gun to his head? I can only imagine the scene that took place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. to clarify: he and I were separated, then he asked to come back. I told him booze or me he couldn't have both! Maybe you smart asses should put your own bottles down and read between the lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you, pissed off one, should realize what reality is! If he IS an alchoholic and told you he will quit because you said so, Bold-faced, but well intended lie. He is now a closet alkie sneaking around behind your back. What a relationship! If he is not an alkie, then you have him pussy whipped, and from both perspectives, good luck to your marriage. Or former marriage? I dunno. Good luck though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts