can you let go? I mean, REALLY let go?

  "I am writing to you who are God's children because your sins have been forgiven through Jesus." 1 John 2:12


Forgiveness. A small word that has BIG consequences! And talk about the huge pay-offs! However, in the whole scheme of things, it is one of THE hardest things any one of us can do! I have had issues in my life that needed reconciliation. My childhood, for one. I still cringe when I think of those days. Yet when my mom was on her deathbed, I went to her and, with the help of Our Lady of Guadalupe, whose picture was in the room my mom occupied, I was able to let go of the chains that had me in their grasp. It was so freeing!
Yet there are other issues that still make me tense up. People who have hurt me in one way or other. I am torn between seeing them get their just desserts, and forgiveness, yet Jesus taught is to "love our enemies! Pray for those who persecute you, so that you will become true children of your Father in Heaven."
Persecute. Now there is a big word!  Because of the actions of some people, I have lost  things and people near and dear to me. My hearts breaks when I think of lost opportunities that I will never have back. For example, years ago I was asked by someone if I could help to get their book published. I gladly gave assistance, which backfired when this person felt that, after only a month, he should have been on the best seller list making millions of dollars! Ha! I had told him it takes years to become noticed as well as lots of hard work. He showed me his gratitude by initiating a string of trouble for me that culminated in my having to appear in court to prove my innocence of something I had nothing to do with.
In another case, someone  needed money to pay off a past due electrical bill. I gladly offered it after he "promised" he'd pay the huge sum back. This was five years ago. I am still waiting.
Huge sigh......
What I have learned from these episodes is that we all get hurt in one way or another. Our perception of what "should be" falls short of "what is." Words are said, actions are taken, lives are changed, sometimes for years, and sadly, sometimes forever. If ever the olive branch is held out, I have taken it, grateful to have that "prodigal son" moment. I do not hold grudges for the past, but move forward with anticipation.
In an unresolved case though, where pain lingers, it can be hard to forgive and move on. We feel the sting of rejection. I say, move on anyway. Don't linger in a past that you have no control over. Sure, you'd love to stalk that person, maybe you are doing so right now through Facebook or Twitter! But please don't. It just keeps the door open to more hurt, more anger. What have you proven? That you are no better than the one who hurt you? Like a wound, the more you pick at it, the deeper the scar. Let it go. You will be the better person for it. Hold your head high, keep your pride in check and move on. Yes, there will still be painful days, but just as with a physical wound, soon healing will take over and it just becomes an event from time, something that happened but made you stronger. Rely on the therapy that God's love provides. When the walls come crashing in, call out to Him to lead you through. When you know that you have that special Someone in your corner, the punches just don't hurt as bad.
Imagine a beating heart. Now imagine some of the arteries flowing blood to and from the heart are blocked. The pumping is weak and everything is getting congested. That's what unforgiveness does in your soul. It's one of the greatest soul toxins because it blocks you from giving or receiving love. You may feel that you have a lot of unforgiveness in your heart but don't know how to get rid of it. Me too. But today God is inviting us to bathe in His waters of forgiveness and let the love flow freely again

Comments

  1. wow...I think yesterday's feel good post was to get us all ready for today's! You went from a box of crayons to forgiveness. what a hurdle! yet if we all forgave, there wouldn't be as much pain the world. but then I think about the big issues. 9/11. Columbine. Aurora, CO. How does one forgive that? I also think of Pope John Paul 2. he forgave his shooter. So must we all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to err is human to forgive divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hard to forgive someone who screwed somebody over though. I didn't ask for much and got a kick in the ass for it. You talk forgiveness? HA! Maybe check over your life and see where you went wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts