color your world!

Whenever I get depressed, I get a piece of paper and coloring crayons and just doodle. The mindless drawings come to life somehow, setting things to right what may have been wrong. Even Robert Fulghum, who wrote the "What I learned in Kindergarten" story agreed. To become like a little kid again, to have crayons and hot cocoa, to sit in a comfy chair with a warm blanket, this is what makes for true contentment!
I read the following today and it confirms what I have known all along. Read on:

"Today is like a coloring book. With what gorgeous crayons will you color the day? Hundreds of crayons are at your disposal. You are the one who brightens or shades your day. You are the colorer of your day. Pick out the colors you want. You are not at the mercy of the crayons, for you are the chooser. You are the colorer of your day.
Nor do you have to stay within the lines. Who says that you do? Let there be no borders to your day, no limits. What sort of day would you like? Well, have it. You are the determiner of your day.
Even if, when you get out of bed, you stub your toe, you are still the determiner of your day. Your day is not what happens in it. What happens in your day happens, yet you are the determiner of your day. If you slip on a marble, you are still the determiner of your day. Instead of being a nay-sayer, become an okay-sayer.
Whistle a happy tune. Walk on the sunny side of the street. Pick yourself up, and keep walking on a well-lit path. Lighten up your path with your good nature. Be a willing partner in life, for life is your coloring book, and you hold the crayons.
You are meant to be one who colors his life, not a critic of it, not a nag, not a head-shaker, not a frowner, not a foot-dragger, not a crawler, not a sobber, not a blues-singer, not a grumbler, not a mumbler, not a defector, not a defector of light. A light spirit be. Be a hummingbird of life. Be an elegant surfer who rides the waves and relishes them."

So beginning today, the world is yours to do with it as you please! How about cultivating a little color in YOUR life or in the life of another?

Comments

  1. oh my...Reverend, you have taught us so much! and then I met you and saw why you are as you are!!! You are so childlike, I'll just bet the birds sing sweeter for you! From now on, I too will stop and enjoy life...and I am going to get myself some crayons today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petula Clark sang a song called "Color my World." This column reminds me of that! I love it Rev when you step away from the posts about real life/ sad issues and talk about the lighter stuff. I know the other stuff matters too but this is just as sweet! thanks...for being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan from IllinoisJuly 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

    Robert Fulghum! That is who you remind me of! He had such a gentle way of looking at life, too! I hope your world has many colors, Reverend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't The Rev. wonderfull? Without her I would be, by now, coloring in black and white colors. But because of her I have many more of the brighter colors in my small world, and I thank her for all of them!
    I just wish the next coming generation could put colors outside their own worlds to make others have a brighter place for the world to exist in.
    Thank you Rev. for my 64 box of crayons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's true what the Bible says. We must become like little children to enter heaven. You are just showing us the way, Reverend Baum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts