don't count sheep, count blessings!

Bing Crosby had a sweet song about "instead of counting your sheep, count your blessings," which he sang in the movie, "Holiday Inn." I read a sweet Facebook posting yesterday that had me thinking today when I was on my early morning walk. This person gave thanks for the half marathon she ran, her Excellent GPA of 4.0, her children and her wonderful husband. I looked over my life (real quick, 'cause much of it is painful, so I don't like to dwell there!) and realized that even with the strife, I have much to be thankful for as well. Life always has a balance but we only see the dark shadows. It seems that when life is good, we don't appreciate it, but when those rainy days of the soul seem to hang around, all we can do is pray for sunnier weather.

If I were to post something on my page, it would read: I give thanks for the life that taught me to roll with the punches, though there were many, and to be grateful for the many rainbows that came from each storm. I give thanks for my health issues, for they teach me to appreciate the days when I don't need to take every pill ever made! I give thanks for my kids, for they taught me patience. I give thanks for friends, for they gave me grace. Lastly and most important, I give thanks to my husband....he has been my Rock of Gibraltar. In him, I see the Face of God, for he loves me without reservation. The compliments I get from him, the look of love on his face and most special, when he plays a favorite song of his and then calls me to dance, I gladly walk into his arms and we gently sway to the words. Yes, I have been given such great gifts!
Today...look to your greatest gifts....what makes you stronger? Who is your champion? And how can you share your gratitude with that person?

Comments

  1. grateful grama....July 19, 2012 at 5:42 AM

    I am thankful to have lived as long as I have. I have witnessed much but much of it was good! Glad for my friends and family..glad also for this blog! thanks to Reverend for her inspirational columns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know its been awhile since I have been on here and like you, Rev, I have had my share of more pain than I care to remember. But like you I also have to look at the brighter side and be thankful that I still have a room, food and now, a job. Thank you and rob also for helping me when I needed it. I still need it, so don't go away any time soon, you hear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. as I was driving today, I saw an OLD Ford truck...I mean probably late 40's. Its so neat to see those still around....and it made me think of ho many other things I miss. So...keeping my eyes open and appreciating all I see! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts