I wish you ENOUGH...

I have been following a thread in the news about homelessness in my suburban county.  The three stories ranged from a 52 year old in a high paying job who lost it all, a 24 year old meth addict and a woman who was in a well to do job with a great boyfriend who lost it all due to a crack cocaine addiction. I added my own two cents worth to the comments because...what shocked me were the comments that were printed! Name calling, insinuations that one reaps what they sow...why, how can these people climb out of the pits of their own hell when others keep pushing them back in??? I agree that drugs are the beginning of a long spiral down, but when people have indicated they want to get back up, we should lend a hand. As I have said before, it seems so easy for the ones in the Ivory Tower to look down on the little folks and spit on any attempts they make at bettering themselves. And just what makes Mr. or Ms. Ivory Tower any different from an addict or alcoholic or homeless person. I'll tell you...
Not a damn thing!
In the other case of the man whose job was downsized, therein lies a common problem in this country. So many people say: "I never saw this coming!" My friend, always be prepared for the worst. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" as the saying goes.
What we all fail to realize...or just think, "it can't happen to me!" is that, yes it DOES! and it CAN! so...be prepared for that. Keep your resume updated and expand your horizons! Hey, maybe being that computer tech fell flat..what ELSE are you good at or take an interest in? Then research it and go from there. I have held a variety of jobs in my life, ranging from animal control, vet tech, school lunch lady and child care worker to janitorial work. I was young, strong and had a motivation to succeed! Success doesn't come in the form of a million dollar paycheck...it comes from knowing that you have "enough" to get by. A Lexus is no different that a Ford...they both have 4 wheels and an engine. So....please keep this in mind!

 Yesterday I watched a movie titled "Three Wishes." In it, a homeless drifter named Jack, recuperating with a mom and her two boys after a freak accident broke his leg, learns about what each member of this family is going through. Mom is waiting for word on her husband, MIA in Korea. Little brother wants to be a firecracker so that he can fly and sparkle! The oldest, Tom, wants to be a big name baseball player, but in reality is more like Charlie Brown! Jack teaches him about patience and about perseverance. Others mistake Jack for being a big baseball hero from 1941. Jack tells them they have the wrong person. Suddenly their opinion of him, once decrying him, then exalting him, turns once again to anger that he has come to their small town. The movie continues and we finally see Tom as an adult who has lost his job. He is frustrated--helpless- when he meets up with Jack once more. By now, we have figured out that Jack has something to do with granting wishes and asks Tom if he got his wish? Tom looked at him and asked, "You mean in having my dad return to us?" and Jack replied, "no, the wish I had for you was that you would have enough!" Tom asked, what do you mean...enough?" "Look around you, Tom. What do you see?" Jack asks.
Tom sees his family, maybe in a new light, and the message hits home hard.
It doesn't matter what we have, what car we drive, what house we live in. It's WHO WE ARE TO OUR FAMILY!!! As long as one has Love, one can conquer everything.My husband replied once, when his job search was fruitless a few years back, "at least with you in my corner, the punches don't hurt so bad!"
I won't reveal the ending of this fine movie, but please see it. Patrick Swayze stars and as I said, the end will blow you away! And after you watch it---do something to bring some good to another. In this life, what goes around...comes around!
Peace be with you all!



Comments

  1. I dunno...I think a Lexus is a damn fine car compared to Ford...with a hefty yearly salary, I'd rather be seen in a Lexus than a Ford...maybe a Bently or a Beamer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Material possessions do NOT make the person. Having a heart and seeing life from another's perspective and acting on it is what Jesus told us. I love how Rev makes her point without all the Bible thumping. It is straight to the heart without all the "you're going to hell!" diatribes. If anyone remembers Sunday school lessons, Jesus hung out with the poor and disabled. NOT with the high end crowds. He would have probably --and who knows...maybe he did kick back with a brewski or two...??? But he enjoyed the company of the little people. How are we any different today? What makes Bill Gates different from you or me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a 57-year-old, I’ve learned patience and acceptance in my life. At Cochran House, I appreciate having meals, a bed to sleep in and a place to live.
    It’s hard to establish goals at my age because I'm not sure what my options are. I’ve learned to get by on my $92 a month, but I have no incentive to get a part-time job as the earnings from it have to go right back into the house. As sad as it sounds, it’s easier to read, do crossword puzzles and do volunteer work, [than it is] to look for a documented (taxable) part-time job. Hastings is a nice town but it’s a tough place to find a full-time job. I feel I'm at a disadvantage because of my age, lack of driver's license and no vehicle. None of these three things look good on a job application. As far as jobs, I’ve been out of my career field and past occupations for so long it would be next to impossible to get a similar position. Those jobs were drafting and quality assurance positions.I'm not sure these days if I could do assembly line work eight-plus hours a day, if I could get a job doing it. I’ve heard I could apply for Social Security and with the various programs offered probably get an apartment in St. Paul. On the flip side of that is to be living off the state and I'm not a big-city guy. So when I ask myself what my goals are and what my future holds, my answer is I really don’t know. In the end, I don’t like the label “homeless”, but I feel that Cochran is somewhat of a safe haven for me. Until I figure out options; job training, school, social security, vehicle, drivers license, full/part-time job, etc. Cochran is where I'll be as long as it's available to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This article makes me think about what programs we have as a society to help people like Richard get incorporated back into a job. We do need programs as life circumstances are different for everybody - some by choice, some not."

      Delete
  4. How I feel about being homeless?
    I know l don’t look homeless. I’m not pushing a shopping cart with all my possessions in it. Dirty and unkempt. But when I walk down the street I feel like people look at me like that.
    I know it's because of the way I feel about myself. It's not a very good feeling! Shameful, lazy. But I'm not. I'm a single parent that raised my daughter with love and respect. We always had a clean, comfortable home. She did so good in school that in August of this year she’s going to graduate from nursing school. She has been happily married for five years and I'm the proud grandpa of a 4-year-old granddaughter.This is the first time I’ve ever been homeless! I don’t know the proper channels to get help. I don’t even ask for help. It doesn’t feel right! I’ve always had a job and take care of myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rev...you mentioned a movie...might I also suggest "The Pursuit of Happyness" with Will Smith, who also was homeless and trying to keep a job while caring for his son. It is powerful and describes what you said so well: "as long as I have you in my corner, the punches don't hurt so bad!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so Pollyanna. The economy sux! Help another...? How can we when so many are looking out for themselves! Maybe you need to rethink your words, Ms high and Mighty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shall burn in hell. I hope. And others like you! I read Richard b. and John, and I was once in their shoes, and its not a pretty place to be! In all your high and mighty "Alvin no chipmunks" imaginary world, you are the true scum of society. NOT the homeless. I know it's easy to say, but keep fighting through the mud and muck Rich and John, life quite often sucks, (Even for Alvin who is to mighty to admit it) but I know it can be done!
      I so dislike the frikken Alvins of this world!

      Delete
  7. rob were you also a doper? only the truly homeless have addictions to something and why did you even start, knowing the outcome? People who do drugs or drink themselves blind deserve anything they get, even if it means hoofing the streets! I am sick of my taxpayer dollars caring for homeless people who know the difference between right and wrong and just want to have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a needle doing idiot for quite a while - did all the drugs I could find for years, drinking like a fish the whole period. I got into troubles, lost a family, was homeless in Az. a while, and yet here I am paying taxes out the ying-yang to support all of our foreign invaders whom we have to learn the language of, instead of them learning ours.
      If you wish to complain about your "Taxpayer Dollars" going to waste, I think you should look in another area, because your dollars are NOT going to the homeless. If they were, perhaps Americans would be living in homes and driving new vehicles, rather than peoples with towels on their heads driving new vehicles.
      Wake Up America!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts