living in humility

The first shall be the last and the last shall be first. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. Matthew 23:12

When men are brought low and you say, 'Lift them up!' then he will save the downcast. Job 22:29

James 4:6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

There are many references in the Bible to being humble. The four Gospels all give reference to the ones who exalt themseves versus showing humility. Jesus was more in tune with the poor, the sick, the disabled, the oppressed than he was with the scribes and Pharisees of the time. Women in His day were nothing more than property; to be seen and not heard, yet Jesus included them in His circle of friends.
I say all this because in life, we all have a tendency to judge others. Don't say you haven't...think back: a neighbor gets a new car and what's the first thought that goes through your head? Is it, how can they afford it? Or is it: Wow! I am happy they will be safe and comfortable in it?
When others have issues that they are grappling with, do you turn away in disgust? Do you reach out and help?  Mother Teresa saw only goodness in others, thus she devoted her life to the sick, the babies that were orphaned, the dying. In the dying, she saw God's grace. She implored each one of us to put aside judgment and care for one another.
When I read comments from past posts, my heart grieves for the ones who put down others, who think they are so lofty. My friend, you are NO better than I, we all bleed red and breathe the same air. Yet what is it about your station in life that you should call me different? Is it because I am an alcoholic? Or a drug addict? Maybe I am in recovery and each day for me is another mountain to climb. You just don't know until you walk in the shoes of another! Maybe I have an illness that keeps me from walking normal, so I have a blue Handicap sticker on my windshield...how many times do you judge others that you see park in a Handicapped Only spot? Instead of watching with distaste, maybe watch with love, to make sure that person makes it into the store alright...now THERE'S an idea!

Life is short...strive today and every day to live a humble life. Grant peace to one and all.
May the peace of the Lord be with you....

Comments

Popular Posts