synthetic drugs: the new war

We live in a world where drugs are becoming easier to obtain and harder to let go of. Once a person begins, to end is so difficult. As one former drug user told me yesterday: "After that first high, you spend the rest of your life chasing the next elusive one. It will never be as great as the first one."
I edited a book for someone who knows about drugs firsthand: she witnessed her mother's daily dive into the hell of her own making. ("little girl lost: one woman's journey into meth- as seen through the eyes of a little girl" Avid Reader's Publishing Group 2012; available on Kindle by amazon.com). She in turn is making contact with others who also have stories to share. She received a note from someone who praised her for her story then told his:

"I applaud your work. I am on tour now, but in between sessions, I have read your story. Very well put...although I am saddened that you had to deal with so much pain, you obviously are putting that knowledge to some good and for that, congratulations. And to have had Diane Ganzer help you with it, I have her other book about addictions and have referred others to the therapy that she mentions in it! ("Walking in God's Shadow" Avid Readers Publishing Group 2008)
Now can you do ME a favor?
There is a growing epidemic on synthetic drugs that are not only killing adults, but our kids. Please watch this and let's discuss...As a father and a recovering addict, I am very interested in this subject and to be honest, it scares the f*ck out of me! If you have followed any of these stories in the news, you know of the extreme damage it is causing on human life,families and communities. Follow the link for more info: crime inc on www.cnbc.com

Looking forward to your outlook....
 
it was signed by someone who is very much in the public spotlight, but for confidentiallity reasons, I'll keep his name quiet for now. He is very much into helping teens with drugs and alcohol; however. I feel the more voices that speak up, the better off we can be.
I lookedinto this link myslef and was astounded. Synthetic drugs are becoming quite popular and easy to obtain. In Duluth, MN there is a shop called The Last Place on Earth that sells to anyone synthetic drugs. Alcohol can be had anywhere just by asking an older friend or sibling to buy what is needed or robbing mom and dad's liquor cabinet. When I grew up in the 70's, the only thing school administrators worried about was smoking cigarettes in the bathrooms at school. Now it's kids coming to school high (if they show up at all, that is) and passing out synthetic drugs like candy. In my own school district, a 10th grader was seen sipping from what everyone thought was a water bottle. It wasn't until she passed out --and later died from alcohol toxicity- that it was realized that her "water" was really vodka!
We need to keep our kids safe, yet how can we do this if, like the Anonymous author of the "little girl lost" story, her own mom was so deep into her own addictions that she had no time for her daughter? Our children are growing up as orphans and this war on drugs? Ha! Are we really winning? I knew someone else who only smoked pot daily. Did he think he was fooling his two kids, ages 9 and 11, that he wasn't doing anything wrong? His son acted out and disrespected all he met while his nine year old daughter talked to animals and ignored people. She too would act out when she was scared. How do we reach those kids? How do we tell them that this is important? This is the dilemma of the young author of the "little girl lost" story. Although she witnessed her own mother use, she is not a user herself. One of the rare ones.
I urge you to follow the link in the story here, ( www.cnbc.com) watch the  "crime inc"videos and see what is happening to our youth today. It will NOT just "go away" by itself. Ignoring it won't make it disappear. Please....these are our kids--our future. I urge you to step in. Thank you.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. thank you, Rev. Diane....this mean sooo much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tryin to figger out who this "person" is. Obviously a celebrity because you said "on tour". Actually what doe sit matter they are all drug addicts. Kind of like the blind leading the blind, I am thinkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack ASS is more like it! Buy a vowel, idiot.

      Delete
  3. what does it matter WHO it is, jack jack? What matters is the story, not who IT is about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. drugs, booze, its all the same: its an addiction that brings down many people. I applaud Rev Baum for continuing to stick up for the "less" in our society. When people begin to realize how interconnected we all are, the more we can be each others keeper. remember, "he ain't heavy, he's my brother?" yup, its like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A message every adult should read
    because children are watching you
    and doing as you do, not as you say......

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator
    and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I saw you feed a stray cat
    and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I saw you make my favorite cake for me
    and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I heard you say a prayer
    and I knew that there is a God I could always talk to
    and I learned to trust in Him.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick
    and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it
    and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I saw how you handled your responsibilities,
    even when you didn't feel good,
    and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I saw tears come from your eyes
    and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I saw that you cared
    and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good
    and productive person when I grow up.

    When you thought I wasn't looking,
    I looked at you and wanted to say,
    'Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.'

    I AM SENDING THIS TO ALL OF THE PEOPLE I KNOW
    WHO DO SO MUCH FOR OTHERS,
    BUT THINK THAT NO ONE EVER SEES.
    LITTLE EYES SEE A LOT ...

    Each of us (parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, teacher, nurse, friend)
    influences the life of a child.

    How will you touch the life of someone today?
    Just by sending this on to someone else,
    you will probably make them at least think
    about their influence on others.

    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply.
    Speak kindly.
    Leave the rest to God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we don't realize what we have until its gone. And we don't realize how good it was until it is bad. I encourage all of you out there who are struggling: before you take that next hit, that next drink, that next whatever...look around you and ask yourself, "yeah, I may want this, but who wants ME more?" If that doesn't rattle you, then I can't help ya.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts