ten condensed to two

"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations..." Deut 7:9

Keep His commandments. Many of you are probably thinking of the Ten Commandments, which admonish us to love God, keep holy the Sabbath Day and to respect our parents and not covet what doesn't belong to us. When Jesus was asked how to get to Heaven, He responded in kind: to follow the Commandments as set forth by Moses. But the one asking went further. "What must I do to attain Heaven?" "Truly I tell you this, Love God with your whole heart, your whole soul and your whole might. Love your neighbor as yourself."
There it is, ten condensed into two. Who can forget that, right? How complicated is that, right?
Wrong! It's very complicated...but only if you allow it to be.
We are God's idea, His creation. We are His eyes, His hands, His touch. We are Him. Look deeply into the face of every human being on earth, and I do mean EVERY human being! The ones you would rather NOT have to see: the hungry, the sick, the black, the red, the gay, the straight, the ones with disabilities, the ones who are struggling with addictions...God has no cousins...only children. We are all created in His likness and image.
In Sunday's paper, there was a story of a 24 year old man named Luke. Luke has Williams syndrome, a learning disability. Yet there he is, talking to all he meets with his sunny personality. Volunteering at nursing homes, bringing cheer to the residents and staff alike! Learning disability? I shake my head. Maybe it's people like Luke for whom the Kingdom of God is waiting for, and the rest of us are his servants! I think that is so cool myself. "The first shall be last and the last first. To humble yourself, then you shall be exalted." Remember that from a couple of posts ago? yes, Luke is humble and so, shall be exalted.
I know of many "pious" people who are faithful churchgoers, except they are not hearing the Word of God. They sit in that pew so sanctimoniously. They will mentally chide every other person there and God forbid the ones who aren't! They will burn forever in hell, according to Mr and Miss Pious. They then leave church, anxious to go about their lives, cutting off people on the road, pushing others around at work, looking down their noses at those for whom life has more than its share of struggles, then will lift themselves up and say, "I know the plans that God has for me."
Oh, really? You are on that one on one basis with the Supreme Being that well, eh? Well, I am sorry, but as much as you are the boastful Pharisee that Jesus spoke of, I am just a sorrowful sinner. I do NOT appreciate your references to yourself as all holy and point out my shortcomings, so do NOT even go there!
This is what is hapening in my own life. There are those who have NOT walked in my shoes and seen what I had to deal with for so many years as an adult. They stand before me and judge me based on ...what? The fact that I had to leave a very stressful situation, taking my children with me? That I had to break up a family in order to save it? What they don't know is that afterwards, lies were spread about me by the other party that I could not defend. What they don't know is that despite the dissolution, I still tried my best to remain cordial for the kids' sake, going so far as to loan him money to repair his car so that he and my son could get to their jobs. No, instead I have been held up to ridicule. I myself went through situations afterwards that  I never had to deal with before with other people for whom I have learned lessons. And that is what matters: I learned lessons. I have grown and moved on. My kids are better for what we all have been through. Three of my four kids, although adults, still live at home. We are a cohesive family who have had our share of struggles and are battle scarred, but better for those experiences. And I brought into this family a new member who treats them with respect and love. I can readily admit that this is the first time in my life that I have had a home that is full of love, kindness and security.
Imagine that.
And for that, I am being persecuted...why?
To the ones who have nothing better to do than to judge others, I pity you. I pity your bitterness, the boredom you must be feeling to spread your hatefulness. You seem to be the ones who would readily toss an anchor to a drowning person.
We are, incredibly, the body of Christ. All of us. And though we may not act like God, we are His. He loves us, Undyingly so. Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ. (see Romans 8:38-39)
So why are YOU building that barrier?

 "And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.  No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Comments

  1. Rev Brenda SorensenAugust 21, 2012 at 6:36 AM

    This is indeed a powerful message of what love vs judgment can do. This is also why our country is falling apart. We judge, we are greedy. We are in pain and blame everyone else but ourselves. It is so easy to point that finger at someone else but remember, there are three more pointing back at you. Someday you also will be judged by One greater than I. I would think on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if it is true that the meek shall inherit the earth, I am thinking it may very well be a lonely place. If only people could look at others as you see them. Be open to circumstance and then, let's move forward. What a wonderful world it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no explanations are necessary when you have been wronged. You have done YOUR best and others who may not even know all the facts have decided to play judge and jury as well. Screw them! Just go on with your life and tell yourself that you are better than they...if only in the sense that you will not fight back but rather just move forward, as you said. let them wonder what the hell happened...if they ever do that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me tell you what the hell happened! The Rev's oldest child Wont stand up for his Mom?!!
    grow the F up, Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. parents are not perfect and damn the child for thinking that they must be! We all make mistakes, kids as well as parents. That is where forgiveness comes in. You are so right about those so called pious holy ones who think they know everything and can do no wrong! HA! They are the most dangerous ones! Indeed, grow up and realize that life is all about second chances...Jesus was all about second chances! Wake up and see that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moms are important. No matter what. Moms brought us into this world. You will have many girlfriends and maybe even a wife or two but mom will always be at your side. Treat your mom with respect no matter what. She will take that bullet for you. She cries when you err and loves you regardless of what you do to her. Treat her well. Treat her as Jesus treated his own Mother. Don't ever turn your back on your mom. EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been at Diane's-- Reverend's-- side for 24 years and she is right about the past she had to deal with. It was not healthy for her or for her kids to witness all the pain and suffering she was being put through by her husband. I had told her many times to leave but she needed to do it on her own time. Yes she is happy now and her new husband treats her with love and respect. I have never seen her any happier. I am glad her life has been made better. I only hope others recognize it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts