how big is your Cross?

There is a story of a man who was so tired of carrying his Cross. He set it down and complained bitterly to the Lord. "Why must my Cross be so big?" he asked.
"You're right," God answered. "Just leave it over there. You may then go and pick out something that may be more your size."
The man did as he was told. Moving beyond a hill, he saw a field filled with crosses of all sizes. Some were bigger than mountains! Finally he saw one that was more to his liking. "I'll take this one, Lord!" he said, all excited. "This is more my size."
"My child...that is the one you just put down!"

Do you ever feel some days just weren't meant for you? Are you suffering under a burden so large you can't see out? Take heart. There are others who also struggle. Their pain may be worse than yours. It's all in the perception of things. How strong are you? If you percieve a small slight to be a major issue, in your mind it may be. But...if you see big issues as just inconveniences in the larger scheme of life, they will seem small and petty, thus you can move on.
How about if you see another with a larger cross than your own? Maybe you can share the load. We are all in this life together. If you are one of the lucky ones to not even have a cross, maybe you can look out for another who does. Shoulder that burden for awhile. Be a hero in the life of someone who needs one. Walk that road together.


 I shall not pass this way again...
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing,
therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow human
being let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not
pass this way again.~Stephen Grellet, 1773-1855




Comments

  1. it all goes hand in hand with never taking another for granted...being a friend to complete strangers...all of it! Thank you for your sweet words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rev, I have been following your blogs and I have to say...when you say we must help another with their cross and I know you have a husband who is an alcoholic...you must have big shoulders to help him with his cross! My own hubby is also an alcoholic and I cannot tell you how many times I want to just run away!!! It is so hard to watch him do what he does, yet there YOU are...telling us to do the same. I love that you not only preach it, but that you DO it! Thanks for the inspiration...thank you from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts