whose feet have you washed today??

Paul wrote: “Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God,” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NASB). 

 

 As I showered today, bending over to wash my feet, I thought of how Jesus taught us to wash the feet of another. Back in His day, roads were dry, dusty and feet were not very pretty! Yet He showed us by example of how we can be of service to another.
I thought about the metaphor of this act. It isn't JUST in the washing of another's feet...it's in the doing FOR another. I just can't see myslef setting up a booth on a sidewalk with a sign that says "feet washing FREE!" but I CAN see myself doing something else for another. Now remember...feet washing back in Jesus' time = unpleasant job. What today is unpleasant, yet we should pay attention to and perform it with love?

How about embracing the ills in society? Not turning your back on the homeless, the hungry, the sick, the imprisoned, the gays, the blacks, the Baptists ( or any religion!), the disabled, the old, the very young...the alcoholics, the drug addicts, the poor...and maybe even when a neighbor's child seems incorrigible or a stray dog keeps pooping in your yard...I say, accept ALL of it! 
ALL. OF. IT! 
It is in the symbolic washing of feet that we finally understand what it means to be lowly, yet holy. Does that make sense? We are now on our knees, we are now "one of THEM!" Shhhh...right? You look around...should anyone see you doing something for the least of these? Jesus said, "truly, whatever you do for the least of these...YOU DO IT FOR ME!" 
Wow...I like that! I like that I am doing it for Jesus! I am doing it for YOU! I am doing it for the glory of God!
and there you have it!
Doing what the Apostle Paul exorted us to do.
And the only way for peace to fill our hearts is if we do it for the glory of God...not because we HAVE to...but because we should. and don't do it for the pat on the back, either--rather do it for the love of God and the love of neighbor. We ALL are neighbors!

any questions??








Comments

  1. Along with love, compassion is the face of altruism. It is a feeling from deep in the heart that you cannot bear others’ suffering without acting to relieve it. As compassion grows stronger, so does your willingness to commit yourself to the welfare of all beings, even if you have to do it alone. You will be unbiased in your service to all beings, no matter how they respond to you. ~ Dalai Lama

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so true! it seems in my life that no one understands just why I stick with my husband. "You need to give him an ultimatum, me or the booze!" I KNOW he has a problem, I KNOW how hard it is for him, I know also that my life would not be complete without him. I am not being abused. Our REAL friends know who he is...so why leave? He knows he is just hurting himself. He also knows that I am not happy sometimes, so he does his best to make me happy. What my so called friends don't realize is that none of us are perfect. Do they think that their gossiping behind my back is acceptable to God? Maybe they need to mind their own business and let me take care of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I only wish the "Holier than thou" folks could realize this! You, al-anon lady, are far more "Saintier" than those who chose to judge you. Don't forget that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts