little things that mean so much........

Every Saturday, my husband brings me home roses after his week of truck driving. If you could see the way he looks when he comes home; tired, sweaty and grimy, yet he doesn't hesitate to show me he loves me by this wonderful gesture. Four years ago, I prayed to St Therese, the Little Flower, to send me someone who could love me just for being me. I asked for a shower of roses, per her words that she would do so for anyone who asked her. I know this is a sign from above!





This weekend my husband and I were in west central Minnesota in a little town on the prairie  visiting his folks, who were preparing to go to California for the winter. I love these visits because, being from the city, with all the noise and hype and confusion, this gives me a chance to just sit back and "be." I was not disappointed this weekend. The weather was relatively calm and not too cold by our standards here. The half moon beckoned and as I stood on the deck just about sunset, the most remarkable thing happened: thousands of geese that were migrating along the Dakota Flyway decided to stop at a lake just two block's from mom's house. The sounds of so many geese and the sight of them as they flew across the moonlit sky was captivating. Although I live along the Mississippi Flyway, it is very rare to see such a spectacular sight.
I love my in-laws. They have brought me into their wonderfully boisterous family and made me one of their own. The love and security have been such a wonderful blessing in my life, one that was very much needed. It is true that when a door closes, God is sure to open a window and the view can be quite wondrous!!
These reasons are why I never take life for granted. None of us knows when it will all be over. Either through  means such as a job loss or illness, a divorce, money issues, a death in the family...anything can take you away from all that you know and either leave you feeling abandoned or exhilarated. I know of many people for whom a relationship status leaves them blindsided, yet they refuse to see that maybe it was for the best. For me, to have had such a tumultuous forty five first years of my life, this slice of heaven is a wonderful respite and I am so truly grateful for all of the gifts I have been given, namely, the gift of being loved!
Starting today, begin by listening to the sounds all around you. Take time to smell that flower, to appreciate the singing of birds, to walk through a puddle. Really feel what it is doing to you. If you see another who needs to be inspired, offer inspiration. We have only today, now, the present. That is why it is called "a gift."
Peace be with you all!

Comments

  1. wow!!! You are so lucky to have such a wonderful relationship! Your positive attitude is what makes others love you!!! You are an inspiration for others! As for the roses, it's so obvious that your inlaws have raised their son right to treat you as he does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, if all the world could follow your examples of love and gentleness, we would not have the pain there is now. God bless you, my friend! PS rob is one lucky man! I hope he knows this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment: the weather was calm and not too cold by our standards here....yup, you are definitely a Minnesotan, U betcha!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts