be a Light unto the world!


as a minister, it is my responsibility to be a good example of what God wants for all of us. For those who are in the field of ministry and use that position to take advantage of others is more than just wrong...it is a grievous error on their part that ruins the fragile trust of so many people!

I was just at my hairdresser today for a trim. Getting there early, I picked up the only magazine that I hadn't already read yet at home...one about Hollywood folks and their "troubles." As I skimmed it, I saw page after page of "look at me! It's all about me!" stuff. I got depressed and set it down...and pondered.
These folks and their issues, why should they concern us? Do I air my dirty laundry to every movie camera out there? I don't think we should focus on each others' petty issues, affairs and latest fashions so much as we should concern ourselves with what really matters.

Would you be as interested if a homeless alcoholic bum was portrayed on a magazine cover? Many would shrug it off and shake our heads. "Get a job! Get a life!" we would mutter, then move on. Lately though, it has been very cold across the nation. If a homeless person died from it, would you mourn the loss of a life that ended perhaps too soon?
 
“Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven".-Matthew 5:14-16 MSG

I think about the legitimate people who have been light-bearers in our world. Folks like Billy Graham, Joni Erickson-Tada, Corrie Ten Boom, Helen Keller,  Pope John Paul 2, Mother Teresa....I could go on...but do you see a pattern? They lived FOR others...they lived to inspire others through their words as well as their actions. They were not self serving. They didn't live off lavish salaries in huge mansions. They became servants for the rest of us! 

There is a house near me that is on the market for ten million dollars. Yes...ten MILLION. It was built by a man who owned a strip club. Obviously, he was very successful at it to have accumulated such wealth, but selfishness, arrogance and greed all got in the way. He owes the IRS huge sums of money as well as penalties, thus the sale of his house as well as his business. The city that I live in is basically middle income. Huge mansions such as this have no place here. The property is surrounded by woods and a cornfield, and has abundant wildlife, yet I would not live in this house if it was given to me, and I will tell you why.
The house was built by someone who did it on the backs of women who sold their souls to work for him. Granted they were not forced, but why cheapen yourself by providing a job being a stripper for strangers? I would much rather work for low wages and have my respect in tact than to give it all up for another's cheap entertainment.

How can you be the Light for another? What choices to you have? How do you live out your life? You surely CAN have it all...but what part of "all" do you want? Fame, money, material goods have no value if the love and respect of others are not included. 

When I began writing, I said I wasn't doing it to make millions of dollars. I wanted to help others through my words. To this day, I am nowhere near being a millionaire...but through the many comments, e-mails, letters, hugs and more that I have received, I honestly feel as though I have done very well.
Thanks be to God!

May you have a blessed day!







Comments

  1. does that house for sale have a pool? I'd buy it if it did, I have no scruples...none at all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts