are you a "Honeymooner" or a horror fest?


 




Yesterday's post had a story about a wife who took her husband for granted. She found fault in all that he did, rather than look for the good in what he also did.
Why is it so easy to find fault rather than dwell on the positive in others? We are all so guilty of this! Show me someone who is perfect....an impossibility, for we all have faults. I think of the many who have affairs- if only that much energy could be put towards the current relationship!

There are times, I admit, when due to exhaustion, pain or whatever, that I want to snap at my honey. Then I put myself in his shoes. He tries so hard. He provides for me and my kids. He works so hard. I have no reason to pick on him, none at all! I have waited so long to find him...why would I want to do anything to lose this most precious gift? Instead, I pray, I give thanks to God for this most wonderful person who has filled my life with his love.

I think of the television shows that depict married life as being something of a slugfest. Let's start with "The Honeymooners." Yes, Ralph and Alice Kramden. He was always threatening to send her to the moon. He belittled her, as she did him. Then we have "I Love Lucy." Lucy was always conniving to one up Ricky. In the past ten years there has been "The King of Queens," Home Improvement," and "Everyone Loves Raymond." They all have the same theme: man works hard, but never hard enough for his wife. He is picked on, belittled, mocked, yelled at, cajoled, threatened and humiliated. By show's end, they kiss and make up, but what are these programs teaching us? That control through a variety of methods is what gets us what we want? I sometimes cringe when these shows are broadcast. This is not a depiction of a  happy family life and I certainly would never treat my husband in this manner.

Today, look at the one you have a relationship with. Really look at what goes on within that relationship. Are you belittling each other or building each other up with compliments and laughter? Do you plan an exit strategy if things look dour? Do you tell your significant other how much you appreciate their presence in your life? Not just because it is their birthday or Valentine's Day, but each and every day? Do you say thank you when they do something nice? Do you greet each other with a kiss each morning and a hug at night? Are you glad to see them come home after a hard day at work?
If not--why not?
If so, keep up the good work!

Comments

  1. the acrimony is what made the Honeymooners what it was! Because we all knew we would not act like that in real life. Would you rather we be what Donna Reed was...or June Cleaver? Everything so tidy, no one got too angry....personally I liked Father Knows Best. Respect was the main theme of that show. Yes folks got angry but it was never directed at someONE...more like someTHING and dad always fixed it. You have hit this subject right, however. Words can be used for good or bad and how much better if we think before we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. old granny who remembersFebruary 8, 2013 at 6:27 AM

    I feel the Honeymooners made light of domestic violence. His threats? I would cower when I saw that. My then husband said she probably had it coming. NO ONE has it coming! Remember that, ladies! NO ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the best thing to remember is this: how would you feel if you were yelled at, picked on, humiliated, threatened, etc? Exactly! So why do it to others?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want to know how to treat people? Do what your dog does: forgive, act happy every time he sees you and go through life loving unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts