of Prada and poverty....an update!!!


 
I wrote this, not suspecting that what has just happened today, March 12th, would in fact happen as it did. But thanks be to God, we now have a new pope. Pope Francis. A Jesuit who follows the life of St Francis of Assisi, who takes the bus, cooks his own meals and when he was made cardinal, advised those who admired him to not pay a visit to him but rather, take the money they would have used for plane fare and give it to the poor instead.
My heart sang, my eyes cried copius tears, as I watched this humble man step forth.
Time will tell, as it always does, what story will play out. It is my hope, my PRAYER, that he is the humble servant of God who will lead his people in the ways of peace, justice and righteousness!


and now...what I wrote just two weeks before:


 It has been speculated for quite a few years that Pope Benedict wears Prada shoes. Though originally disputed in 2008, it has been confirmed that the red shoes he wears are indeed made by Prada. As he prepares to step down from his papacy, I have been in deep meditation over many things. His papacy has been mired in scandal of the many sexual abuse cases worldwide. He has been known to be a reclusive pope, unlike Pope John Paul 2, considered by many to become a saint. During Pope John Paul 2's reign, he toured many countries, providing inspiration to many of the world's faithful. His assistance in freeing Eastern Europe from communism will always be remembered. Since his passing, however, our world is once again embroiled in war, in hate, in bitterness, in greed...we are living on the edge of destruction.
Last night's national news focused on Syria's war with the rebels inhabiting the country. It's citizens are fleeing the country, becoming refugees on the border with Lebanon. There, they have taken shelter in a building once used as a jail. There is no heat, no beds, no food. Children are malnourished and scared as they await word on what will become their fate. They lay on the cold cement, wearing layers of clothes that still do not provide enough warmth until the sun rises the next day. The cells they inhabit are approximately six feet square, in which as many as eight people share.
I looked at those children and my heart bled for them.
I looked at the shoes the pope wears and my heart cried at the injustice of life.
I looked back at my catechism teachings, remembering a man who came to earth to show us what true humility is like, going so far as to die for us so that we may have life and have it abundantly.

Interestingly enough, he did not wear Prada, he wore sandals.

Those who followed in His footsteps did not wear Prada. St Francis of Assisi wore a simple brown cloak, and at the moment of his death, gave it away. Mother Teresa wore a simple white sari and sandals.

 

 Maybe instead of focusing in how good we look in outer adornments, we should look inside ourselves. No amount of adornments will hide what is truly within our hearts.

Do you hurt when you see injustice and pain? Do you act on that hurt so that another may live in peace, even if it means you may feel some discomfort? "If you have two cloaks, take one and give it away, and if you have extra food, you must do likewise." (Luke 3:11). All throughout his ministry, Jesus showed us by word and example, that we must give to the poor. "Sell all that you have and come follow me."

Is it right that when so many are cold and hungry that others wear items of luxury?
What do you do in your life? How do you feel about this topic?
 Me? I am a secular Franciscan, meaning that I follow the teachings of St Francis of Assisi, who was an exemplary ideal of what Christ was. My car is over ten years old, my home is a small townhouse, my clothes are usually from garage sales and thrift stores. I use coupons often. I am content. I don't need items of wealth to define who I am. I am content in working for others who have less than I do. I have always said that if I have helped at least just one person, then my life will not have been in vain. I hope that I have done that and pray for just one more day to try again.
May you find peace in the choices that you make towards yourself and others. Spread that peace to all that you meet.
May God be with you and bless you.







Comments

  1. You must have guts...for anyone else to speak out against the pope is liable to a burning in hell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have just started following Rev Baum's blog, she takes on many issues with no fear!!! She is right in this instance also. It is not fair that a church leader, Catholic or whatever, preaches humility and poverty, then wears designer clothes! It's hypocrisy, is what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole state of the world is a mess! The have and the have nots are two extremes that just seem to be growing wider with each generation. Live for today, to hell with tomorrow is the motto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about time that someone stood up for the people! Thanks, Reverend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you pointed out, Pope JP2 was a wonderful outgoing person. Jesus did not hide behind walls, he went where the people were. It is my hope that a new pope is elected who can once again be the support of the people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God has put the words into your fingers, you are just His writer....always be humble but never back down either! I love your words...as do so many others.
    you go...you keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is March 12, and all I can say is...how did you know...that by writing this, it would come to pass? You obviously have the faith of a mustard seed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is even said that Pope Francis told off his fellow cardinals about the hypocrisy they practiced while preaching their holy message. Sort of like Jesus with the money changers in the Temple. Things had to be shaken up to bring about change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here we are four years later. I think the world is better off for having Pope Francis among us. His examples of love and beauty among others is so refreshing. May God continue to bless his ministry. Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts