a Love no greater....




 
 "No greater love than this, than to lay down your life for one's friend..." John 15:13

So many people, when they hear that verse, have visions of saving a stranger from a runaway train or a potential drowning. Yes, <chuckle> it does mean that, but did you know, there are many situations every day that you can "lay down your life" for a friend or stranger.
How?

I know of a man who has been married for many years to a wife who nags him so much about his drinking--and many other things as well. His grown children have criticized him also. His status on a social media site said simply this not too long ago : "I want to be loved."
I looked at that and my heart cried out for him. For the days and hours and moments lost because of his drinking, her anger, their ingratitude for all that he had done for them.
He was her husband.
Their dad.
A grandpa....
"I want to be loved...."
Mother Teresa said the greatest poverty that we have is the need for love, for attention....to be recognized as a human being.

So, couple this with  "no greater love than this...that you give of your life for a friend."
Give of yourself. Reach out to those who are suffering in mind...(alcoholics, addicts, depression)
Give of yourself to those who are suffering physically...(cancer, disability, blind, weak....)
Give of yourself to those who are in need...(hunger, homeless, in jail, or a nursing home)
Give of yourself to those who have been forgotten...(the old, the infirm, the veteran who has just served and has nowhere to turn now that they are home again).
Give of yourself because...
...it is what Jesus told us to do!
And if Jesus said it, if He DID it...
...then why wouldn't YOU?
Why shouldn't you?
WHY CAN'T YOU?
 




"Bring healing Lord. Bring Peace. Please meet each need. May your grace sustain us. May we feel the warmth of Your presence. May we feel a fire kindled in our hearts, so we are motivated to seek you and to want you above all else in this life. We love you and thank you Lord, in Jesus' name we pray, Amen."



Comments

  1. amen Rev Baum! You have the words of healing...I only hope that others are listening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cry because I saw my husband drink himself to death. I cry because I promised him I would love him no matter what and now he is dead and I am left to wonder, what more could I have done for him...what more could he have done for HIMSELF?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder who saw themselves in this blog and felt guilty? I wonder who then decided to make a change...for the better?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts